1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Robo 3D R1 Z-Axis home is way off

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Matt Brenner, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Brenner

Matt Brenner New Member

Hello and thanks for any help. I work at an elementary school. Their 3D printer had been working for a few years. Lately the extruder had been clogged and before I could come to fix it one of the teachers had unclogged it. since then we have had trouble printing with it. At first the alignment of the bed seemed to be off as it printed further back than expected. It also had trouble about 10 min. into a print where the plastic wouldn't stick anymore and it would turn into a big ball of wirey plastic. By the time I was looking at it, parts of the first layer of the print wouldn't stick to the bed which led to problems. After a night I was trying to work on it today and now the Z-axis seems way off. It says it's at 0 when it's about 3 inches off the bed. I'm not sure how to reset the 0, but playing around with the settings I was able to set different points as the 0. However when I start to print and it looks like it's doing a calibration where it touches the bed in 9 spots it raises the extruder each time, and when it starts to try to print it's 3 inches off the bed which of course doesn't work. I'm thinking if I can tell the machine where the 0 point really is it might fix the problem but I'll take any help and suggestions I can get. Thank you!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi There. One of your z switches is out of position. Can you attached photos of your two switches please?

Rod Smith and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. Matt Brenner

Matt Brenner New Member

Thank you for the advice. I don't know what the z switches are so I will watch the tutorial Mark provided and post my results.

5. 3dinla

3dinla New Member

I just had to sort this out myself recently. The video is super helpful; definitely watch it. This attached picture shows one of my z-switches (little yellow tab) not engaging at all because the black piece above it isn't seated over the nut.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Matt Brenner

Matt Brenner New Member

Here is an update:

I did find the little Z-Switch was off and by twisting the bar it was on I got it leveled out and working.

#6 Matt Brenner, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Start a new thread for the new problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.