1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ROBO arrives, broken

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by 1d1, Oct 28, 2013.

1. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Finally. The Fed-Ex guy brought my ROBO today and upon opening it, the boro/heated bed was in pieces. It is completely split across the rear two mounting studs and renders the printer unusable at the moment. One corner is shattered so I would guess it got some rough treatment along the way. Further, the Z axis rods were free floating out of their sockets. Having replaced them where they apparently belong, the whole z-axis assembly is still remarkably wobbly. Achieving repeatable results would shock me with this sort of play. However, I am a NOOB - should this assembly have a vast amount of play?
    Well, further examination has revealed the reason for all that play on the z axis: the brackets that mount the guide rods to the chassis are both completely broken. My guess would be that the same event that broke the heat bed also broke those brackets. Further, the main wires to the heat bed were not screwed in at the board end. When I was checking them before removing them, they just came right out. Then I found that the belt for the motor that actually moves the bed had been installed backwards - i.e., the smooth side was routed around the stepper pulley instead of the ribbed side.
    My guess is that the China models need some serious QC they aren't yet getting.
    On the plus side, I am learning a great deal about the printer and finding problems before even turning it on. My hope is that this will significantly reduce the amount of troubleshooting when I finally get to plug it in. Further, the wiring has been completely cleaned up in terms of extra wire. However, the two main wires for the heat bed, in addition to being loose, had been spliced to be long enough to reach the board. Nice splices... but didn't follow the color code and so my brown and black wires become red and green somewhere along the loom.
    This 3D printing experience is awesome!
    What can be done here, guys? I'm pretty upset...
    Dean
    207 415-9841 or dean@e-bikego.com

2. Coby Robo 3D

Coby Robo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Dean,

If you haven't already, go ahead and email one of our support guys through our website and we should be able to get you set up with new equipment as soon as possible. Thanks

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Hi Coby,
    One set of parts arrived but no heated bed. The bed is now on its way and should be here on Wednesday. Hope springs. If it arrives broken, trust me, you will hear the scream as it arches from East to West coast.
    Thanks, and it is good to see you ROBO boys taking a more involved/active presence once again.
    Dean