1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

RoBo as a CNC router?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Ahmed Jaber, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

I figure the design of a 3D printer and a CNC router are similar enough that one chassis could serve both purposes and Repetier can run CNC routers, so how feasible would this be? Is it possible to either attach a Dremel to the RoBo's hot end (maybe that unused cooling fan mounting point on the right) or make a quick-release bracket to let me switch from printer to router quickly?

I'd be concerned that all of the dust and other materials the router spits out would mess up the RoBo's electronics or motors, but maybe someone here has already thought of a solution to that.

2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I really dont think the robo frame would be able to handle a dremel on it, Maybe a small motor for PCB routeing, but nothing big.

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

In theory, it can do it, but I second seshan's comments. Robo was going for the low cost solution.
    To do what you want, you're going to need to switch over to a more expensive system with a reinforced frame.
    I know that it is done with the aluminatus. I've also seen shotpbots modified the other way (add a hot end to a router).

4. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

What about a dremel with the flex arm thing that lets you just basically hold the bit rather than the whole motor?

5. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

There is still allot of force put on the frame when routing through stuff, so I guess it depends on what you plan on cutting. I thought about a small motor before to do PCBs, but I really don't think they frame could handle more then that.

6. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Milling operations is ALL about rigidity! Say it with me: Rigidity Rigidity Rigidity!!! The R3D has NONE, or at least, no appreciable amount when compared to the forces necessary for milling.

There is just no way you'd be able to any serious amount of milling with the R3D frame. You'd be better off using the R3D to make the parts necessary to make a real CNC router, rather than risk breaking your Robo!

Believe me here dude... I'm a machinist! There's a REASON our machines weigh in at a ton+ for even the small machines! With just some MDF tho, you should be able to construct a reasonable machine that could manage light milling operations. Try looking at something like this:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-CNC/

There are a few designs in there that could be easily built with a modest amount of tools and time. This is probably my favorite design in there:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Three-Axis-CNC-Machine-Cheaply-and-/

It's a reasonably powerful design, not too expensive to make, and should be able to be made quite rigid for repeatability and accuracy.

7. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Thanks for the explanations, everyone. So milling is effectively out. Laser cutting? :)

8. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

You'd be better off there using your R3D to print the X and Y axis for a dedicated machine with a proper housing and safety shield... and 40w CO2 laser isn't a toy. You want that to be in a good enclosure before firing that bad boy up.

"You'll put an eye out kid!" :)