1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Robo drops power suddenly, repeatedly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Will Huff, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will Huff

Will Huff New Member

I have a big problem. After thousands of hours of printing and no issues, I have this new issue, where the whole thing powers off (as seen in this video.) I have to shut down and restart to bring it back to life. But after I reset everything it happens again and again. Any ideas where to start hunting?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Any messages sent back (errors) in the GCode console? If you are printing from the LCD only, then try hooking it back up to a computer and see if any errors are raised.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

rekon a bet the small fan under your printer isn't working ?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Will Huff

Will Huff New Member

@mark, there are no error messages. I'm using S3D via USB and once it shuts off the code continues as if its still printing.

@Geof, Which fan are you referring too?

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

on the bottom from right corner (if looking at the Robo logo) there is a small 40x40x10mm fan that blows cold air onto the ramps/arduino board. Many times when power cycles like that its because the boards are overheating/that fan failed.

6. Will Huff

Will Huff New Member

Definitely fan dead. I have several replacement 12v fans. I took off the bottom panel and noticed a couple things. I have a few wires not connected.

First one is this wire to the power supply. Does anyone know here this one goes? Surprised i could even print with this wire detached?

The other one came lose when i was removing the power supply. This grey wire. There were only two places to plug it and felt like this was correct position, can confirm? I also had a loose LED wire and explains why i had no LEDs on one side.

After I replace the fan and reconnect wires, ill fire it up and see what happens.

Attached Files:

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

IMG_0357 needs to go to the "-" side of the powersupply. Just pick an open one and tighten it down (unplugged from wall of course)

Grey wire looks attached?

8. Will Huff

Will Huff New Member

OK. And yes i re attached the grey wire was checking it was on the correct connector, but there were two places open, was making sure this is correct position for the grey wire.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Unsure off hand on that one honestly. Been awhile since I've been at that switch. @WheresWaldo

10. Will Huff

Will Huff New Member

Ok, I'll try to make all these adjustments tonight and run a test.

11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am pretty sure the disconnected black wire is an additional ground wire, connect it to the same lead the other black wire is connected to, or one next to it as long as it is still V- (V Negative). That gray wire is the earth ground, it needs to be connected and on the other end it should be on the power supply GND (or ground) terminal.

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Since you have an R1+PLUS I am not sure where the bottom fan is connected, having never owned a PLUS.

13. Will Huff

Will Huff New Member

Replaced the fan and reconnected all the wires...everything is working great now. Thanks for all the help!

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.