1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

RoBo Filament has arrived!

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Drathus, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Drathus

Drathus Guest

I've received the three spools of filament I ordered from team RoBo.

I've only taken a couple quick pictures of them so far, and haven't removed the spools from their sealed plastic bags. I'm waiting for the AC in my apartment to lower the humidity some more so I can pull out the calipers, take some measurements, and then seal 'em back up with my vacuum sealer to sit until my printer gets here.

I figured I'd share these pics, and then I'll post some followups here once I start looking at the filament itself and take some measurements of it. (I'll also use the DSLR for those pics, and not my cell phone. =P)

Three spools: Blue PLA, and Black in PLA and ABS.
    ThreeSpools.jpg

I put a quarter over the hole in the spool of the black PLA for scale.
    BlackPLA.jpg

Blue PLA:
    BluePLA.jpg

and last but not least, black ABS:
    BlackABS.jpg

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Very cool maybe when you are ready to measure things you could take a sample off say 2" of both PLA and ABS products measure right out of the bag and reseal but keep the pieces out and remeasure after a few days see what changes occur with humidity being a factor might give an indication as to how much moisture is changing the material also not sure if you are capable of this as I am not sure if you have a scale that will do it but weight would also be very informational. Remeasure every few days and see how it changes

3. Drathus

Drathus Guest

Here's a shot of the blue pla strand:

blue_pla.jpg

The quality is obviously high. There are no visual abnormalities to the strand, as one would expect from a commercially produced filament.

I did some spot measurements along the first several feet and they were consistently between 1.73mm and 1.79mm. With some fudge coming from how the filament wants to curl (so that can push the measurement depending on which angle to the curl the calipers were measuring) I'd have to say that the ROBO team picked a good supplier, and will be a quality source.

2 people like this.