1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Robo R1+ Making a Weird Noise

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Victoria Nedbal, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Victoria Nedbal

Hi all,

My Robo R1+ just started to make a weird noise that I thought was worth looking into just in case something is wrong. Here is a video of the sound it's making and where it seems to be coming from.

I've never touched this part of the robo, so hopefully you guys can help me to figure out how to fix it!

I'm not sure if it's relevant but this robo also just had a print failure from an overnight print. The filament covered the hot end and was a huge glob attached to it. We were able to easily remove the glob of filament and get it to print normally again though. And the noise wasn't there immediately after the failure it just started happening, but I thought I'd add this comment in case it pertains to the noise.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

is it coming from the powersupply ? If so I'd suggest replacing it. Its possible blowing it out may help if its filament caught in the fan, but never really know and for the 30 bucks they cost...meh. Make sure its not the small fan that blows on the ramps/arduino boards.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Victoria Nedbal

It does look to be coming from the power supply and not the small fan over the ramps/arduino boards. Sometimes when I adjust/reposition it the sound goes away but I don't want to take any risks. Do you have a link for a replacement power supply by chance?

Thank you so much for your help!!

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

really any that are that voltage and amperage is good. more amp is ok but must be 12v. Shop around for best deal of what brand you prefer.

6. Victoria Nedbal

Ok great, I'll take a look. Thank you so much!

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

sure thing! If your comfortable with it you can always take apart your power supply and see if you see anything in the fan. If you do and can remove it its possible you can salvage that powersupply- but as with all electronics- do it disconnected and dead and dont do it if your not comfortable.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

For $30 I wouldn't tear it apart :)

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I hate to say it but i'd take it out, write what it was doing on it and put in an evergrowing pile of "I'll do this later"....

later never comes lol.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.