1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Robo r1 plus change filament mid print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jmsloane, Aug 24, 2018.

1. jmsloane

jmsloane New Member

Hello there! I am trying to figure out how to change the filament mid print! I almost ran out of filament this morning and the printer/print is currently sitting at PAUSE. How do i change the filament without losing the print from this exact point? I was thinking release the stepper motor and move it out of the way. Is there a better way?
    I am ONLY using Mattercontrol, is there a quick way to change it?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

dont use matter control, but it sounds like you'd have to pull back the quick release latch for the filament, pull out old, push in new. All without moving the X or Y axis otherwise the print is lost.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you get an XXL controller (plug and play with the firmware that the R1 series has) it has a filament change option I think. I cant exactly recall as I dont use Robo stock firmware and havent for a very long time.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

been so long I had forgotten they even have a forum LOL!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. kncamranh

kncamranh Guest

thanks for posting

7. John Hartsough

John Hartsough New Member

Yes, you can change out mid print. You have to pause the print. You can then move the print head with the controls. I usually lift it up so it is not sitting on the print. You will need to hold the print head in its position very carefully, or you will mess it up, as already noted. Release the filament holder thingy so you can pull out the old filament, and then insert the new filament. I usually do this with one hand while the other hand is holding the print head in place. Once you've secured the filament you do not have to move it back to original position, just unpause, and it will go back to where it left off. Try this midprint to practice. By doing this you don't have to throw out the last of the roll. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk