1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R2 Bed Question

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JeffreyB, Jun 3, 2017.

1. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

Does anyone know what the bed is made of? The R1+ I owned was glass. The R2 is something else. It almost looks like it has a protective plastic coating that needs to be peeled off. It seems to scratch and scuff pretty easily not like the glass bed of the R1+.

Jeff

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Jeff, I don't have a r2 but I heard rumors it may be pei. An adhesion sheet to aid in prints sticking. It's a good thing

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I wonder if it is buildtak ?
    They have that listed in the store for the R2, but also listed as sold out :)

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Could be ? Hard telling without seeing it in person

5. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

I remember seeing about getting replacement sheets, so I'd expect something like BuildTak...

Geof likes this.
  6. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

Looks and feels like glass. But it also feels kind of squeeky. And is SUPER easy to scratch. Not sure they should have included the metal scraper blade. It scratches the hell out of the surface.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like PEI then.

8. Bill Blackburn

Bill Blackburn New Member

I thought they said the Bed was going to be glass? I received my R2 on Friday. Have a couple issues and need to contact them on Monday.
    I havn't printed anything yet but really impressed so far.

Willy

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The bed is glass. Our assumption (we dont have one) is that they put a PEI sheet over the glass (to aid in adhesion, not have to use glue stick and hairspray etc etc and to protect the glass). Its a good thing as glass beds like to break on ya :D

10. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I like using borosilicate on my other printers, never had them break. I don't mind using the hairspray and cleaning them, since they are easy to remove.

Question on the R2 so far, the glass can be removed correct? Mine is not here yet, and I thought that was in the spec sheet like the C2. PEI is fine on my Prusa machines, but it took me some getting used to. Oddly enough I ended up using AquaNet with PETG to help them stick and break free from the PEI. Gluesticks for PLA, then I just use window cleaner to let the print come loose. Heat the bed, spray around the print and wait until 40C or so. No scratches on my PEI sheets, and if I do have to pry on things I put down a cake spreader and use wire clippers to pop a corner loose, that way I am not touching the bed material itself while prying.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I just go after the part with a buildtak spatula on my prusa ;) you are much more careful than I :D

12. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

LOL - I just don't like watching that poor Prusa bed flex with a sticky part. Although using wire clippers works really well on the glass bed, especially if your part has a slight chamfer designed on the bottom. I have started to do that with all my designs now where it works/fits.

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

LOL thats my favorite part! Hold little zip ties hold! lol

jwmueller likes this.
  14. Timothy Tiller

Timothy Tiller New Member

When I contacted Tech Support over my bed not heating he told me the bed on the R2 was aluminum with a PEI sheet covering it. That is why it takes longer to heat than the glass bed on the R1.