1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R2/C2 replacement system board now available

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Lance Weston, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I just got an email from Jonah@Partsbuilt.com. The replacement boards which I have been using/testing for the last few weeks are now available for sale. If you want one I would email Jonah.

These are great boards. You will never have to worry about the 12v for the fans as it is a much more rugged power supply protected by a reset-able fuse. I got and email from Jonah and the temp regulation seems to really good even without replacing the downtown board. The dreaded extruder stepper fail is not a problem because you can easily replace the $2 plugin stepper board.

As far as I can tell the only difference for an R2 between these boards and the original is that it does not support dual extruders and the hotend heatsink fan is always on. The boards are 100% plug and play, but you may have to move some of the wires that went to the original. The Ramps1.4 boards that is used supports higher current and I replaced the existing x,y steppers with higher current larger faster steppers.

All parts on these boards are readily available on eBay, so you never have to worry about electronics failing again.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That was always a plus for the R1 series.
    standard boards, available from anywhere.

3. Lance Weston

You have no idea how happy I am with these boards. The design is rugged and low noise. I have had them a few weeks and running 24/7 on two R2's. I would never go back. It was the last step in making my machines real production machines. I had already replaced all of the mechanically weak parts.

I finally figured out how to get microporus glass working well. The key is to use a hardened steel nozzle and set it high on zoffset then slooowly bring it closer to the glass plate. It can take me an hour for initial setup. Get too close and the PLA will rip the surface right off the glass. Once done, clean with alcohol, spritz a slight amount of hairspray and re-wipe. After printing with a bed at 60C I put in the freezer for 15 minutes. When removed the plates get wet so I just wipe. Every few cycles I go back to alcohol and hairspray. I have now printed 100 identical parts on the same place on the glass with no problems. The R2 is now so reliable that I just oil/clean the rods once a week. My designs use a .4mm chamfer on the surface touching the glass and -0.25mm initial layer horizontal expansion with a 0.2mm initial layer thickness. This pretty much matches the smush of the filament on the first layer leaving a nice edge.

It is such a pleasure to just take a completed print off with no touch up needed.

tkoco and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Question about the Raspberry Pi power from the new replacement: Is the voltage low? ( below 5.0 Vdc )

5. Lance Weston

There are two step down 5 amp regulator boards on the system board, both of which are replaceable and adjustable. For me neither is critical. I adjusted to +/- 2%. The 12v has a 1 amp resetable fuse and the 5v has a 5 amp resetable fuse. It would be difficult to damage anything with this setup.

tkoco likes this.
  6. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate New Member

Where can I find it?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

reach out to PartsBuilt.com (use the contact form to send them an email) and see if they have it ready for sale.

tkoco and tiagomaricate like this.