1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R2-Inconsistent Prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Victoria Nedbal, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Victoria Nedbal

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to 3D printing and I need some help with the Robo R2.
    We've been printing benchys to see where the settings need to be changed and in the files you can see how they've been consistently under extruding (?)
    benchy1.jpeg benchy2.jpeg
    Disregard the different height, we were printing them purposefully that way because of where the gaps have been occuring.

We are working with PLA have tried changing the temperature, the flow rate, retraction and printing speeds and so much more that didn't seem to work.

I was wondering if someone else has been having this problem and could tell me what they have done to fix it or what settings need to be changed. We are also working with Ultimaker Cura and these are the default settings we have right now. The Arrgos filament we use requires a high temperature to extrude.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for the help!!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Your pictures are not working (at least a lot of them are not). Provide links maybe to imagur or someplace online if you can't attach them

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As for suggestions... I need better pictures :) Those are too small to see anything.

However in general under extrusion is sorted by calibrating the extruder (video attached at end).
    You don't have to edit the firmware to test it, you will need to be able to change the extrusion multiplier in your slicer to test it (i.e. if you go >100% it will extrude more and <100% it will extrude less) so as an example if your extruder test says you are under-extruding by 10% you would set the extrusion multiplier to 110%

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Now, one further bit of advice... the R2 uses the FLASH EEPROM to store settings so when/if you change them in the firmware you will need to reload the FLASH EEPROM or they will be ignored. If you just change the extrusion multiplier in the slicer then that will work with nothing else needed.

==== EEPROM GCodes ====
    M500 Store current settings in EEPROM for the next startup or M501.
    M501 Read all parameters from EEPROM. (Or, undo changes.)
    M502 Reset current settings to defaults, as set in Configurations.h. (Follow with M500 to reset the EEPROM too.)
    So after firmware is fixed you need the M502 and an M500 at some point for them to work.

6. Victoria Nedbal

Thanks so much for the advice! I will look into all of that a bit more. I know we have tried increasing the flow but I can try again. And I'll look into the GCodes and everything too.

A link to the pictures is in the attached file because I was not able to just comment it. Let me know if it does not work and I can try again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Attached Files:

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

https://imgur.com/a/GX9FVn6

Link to image:

Please try to season with Canola oil. Please put canola oil on the filament (light sheen on the filament and feed through) Pictures look sort of like microclogging is happening

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I concur. There are spots on lower layers that look good and then higher layers are clearly under-extruding then back to OK again. Sure sounds like PLA being "PLA" and giving you micro-clogs.

9. Victoria Nedbal

Ok, what are the ways that you can fix micro-clogging?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

literally dip your filament into canola oil and rub it down a few hundred mm with a paper towel. heat up your extruder and run it through those few hundred mm and your hotend is now seasoned.