1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Robo2x release for Robo R1+ LCD issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Wesley Knapp, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

Since reflashing 2 with LCD controller activated I'm having an issue with the Z not raising after the last ABL touchdown and then scraping the nozzle to the 1st point of extrusion.

Never did this before the reflash on my R1+

#1 Wesley Knapp, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So roll back to stock and see if it still does it -- then you can be certain it is a configuration issue and not a stuck/mispositioned/bad Z switch. If it is specific to this build what have you got for startup GCode to configure the ABL? It will no longer honor the M565 Z offset for ABL they changed that to a new one and obsoleted M565.

3. Wesley Knapp

Actually, I was already using V2. I only reloaded the firmware to activate my LCD controller. Sorry for misusing "upgrade"

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well if all you did was enable the LCD then nothing there should have affected the ABL :) That is a one-line edit.
    Make sure your ABL Z offset is correct for your machine. It will almost always be a different number for each machine.

If you are on Marlin 2.x then really you should consider MESH: http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/G029-mbl.html
    better approach and is a don-it-once-and-forget-it approach

however if you want to stay with ABL the new command (rather than M565) is : http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M851.html

5. Wesley Knapp

If printing from the PC with MatterControl doesn't that override the LCD controller settings?

6. Wesley Knapp

What the.... I'm a noob. You mean every R1+ is different? And you said "ABL Z offset". Is there a difference in MC? I only see Z Offset, not ABL Z offset. (And it's set up the same as always.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you set a global Z offset in MC that has no real impact on bed leveling.
    Not the correct approach at all :)

You need to set an ABL Z offset so that the flat plane the firmware generates for the "level" bed includes your Z offset at the point of calculations. Your startup GCode should have had the M565 in it (with the correct Z offset specified) and to be clear this entire thread is about Marlin 2.x not the version of the firmware for the R1 series that Robo calls "2.x" since that is actually Marlin 1.0 ...Nothing confusing about that ;)

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Wesley Knapp I think your comments are in the incorrect thread. I am going to move them to a thread all their own. I think @mark tomlinson nailed it, you are speaking of Robo 2.x which is really Marlin 1.0.x and not the newest version of Marlin as in this thread.

Wesley Knapp likes this.
  9. Wesley Knapp

And therein lies the problem... I thought the Marlin/Robo firmware we're one in the same as far as this forum goes since it is a Robo forum.

Yeah, everything is clear as mud now. I'm more lost than ever.

I wasn't asking about ABL, I was asking how/where/why since changing the Robo provided firmware with LCD controller activated - the nozzle now scrapes from ABL position 9 to point of first extrusion.

My bad that I'm a noob and didn't realize That this particular thread wasn't about the firmware that I uploaded, which I thought it was with Robos signature.

Remember when you first started? That's where I'm coming from.

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There done. You now have your own thread in the troubleshooting section, you should get more help now.

Wesley Knapp likes this.
  11. Wesley Knapp

Thank you

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is, the trouble is that Robo is not Marlin and they (Robo) chose some silly naming convention for their edited versions of the Marlin 1.0.x code they deployed for the R1 and R1+ (they called one a v2 and another v3 even though BOTH versions as well as "v1" were all Marlin 1.0.x)

#12 mark tomlinson, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Put something like this in your startup GCode and tweak with tests of a 1 layer model until your 1st layer looks like the link below:

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M565 Z-1.0 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level

Adjust the number after the M565 from -1.0 as needed to get a perfect 1st layer.
    More negative (-1.1) is further from the bed and less negative (-0.9) is closer to the bed.
    Make adjustments in small increments. Oh -- GCode is CASE SENSITIVE so don't use lower case letters either.

https://printedsolid.com/blogs/news/tagged/first-layer

Geof and Wesley Knapp like this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey @Wesley Knapp i think @mark tomlinson has it nailed with adjusting the M565 number and should get you rolling.

As far as the forum - Robo owns the forum but all of us here including “staff” are volunteers (users) running and helping out. Any files and advise found here (while all good stuff) is not officially a Robo files/advise.

Btw ! Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new machine! Be sure to do an opintroduction post and say hello! Also be sure to fire away any and all questions you have, we will either have links with info, direct information/opinions etc etc and always happy to help :)

Rodney Weber likes this.
  15. Wesley Knapp

My 1st layers do and have always looked like this. I've never had a failed print caused by not sticking to the bed. I watch the skirt being printed - like a hawk and make any necessary adjustments prior to the model actually being started on.

Still not sure which has priority... MadHatterControl settings or LCD controller settings when print is sent from MC on the computer.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I had the same experience with autolevel until I had the same issue @nd had to learn z offset. Matter control does very odd things to make the robos “click and print”. The bugs and glitches drove me to using other slicers. The macros buttons are global offsets (not a great way of doing it, but it’s how matter control does it.

FWIW when hooked usb to matter control it reacts differently than using an sad card and the controller. I don’t fulky understand why, something in matter control side. I haven’t used it since 2013ish I think so hard to recall all the details exactly,

It is also possible one of your z switches are slightly out of place and need some adjusting. Always worth a check of the mechanicals :)