1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Robo3d Kickstarter wont print anymore, help! :)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by -PC, Aug 28, 2016.

1. -PC

-PC Member

Hey gang, long time no see.

I have an issue with my printer and I would like to check if anyone here had the same experience, so I could find a probable reason why my printer is behaving the way it is.

Well, I have the first Robo3d released, I did a few upgrades (3mm hot end, LED light inside the case, etc), and everything was working perfectly until yesterday. This is what happening now:

- Printer will connect to computer without a problem;
    - Printer will heat up both bed and extruder;
    - Printer will never start the job.

It is weird, I can control all stepper motors from the software (Repetier-Host V0.95F), but the job simply won't start.

Does anyone have any idea why would that be happening? there s no error message on repetier?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Cheers
    PC

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Look at the GCode terminal and see what is reported back. Save the entire thing to disk if need be so you can search it.

Bottom panel in this screen:
    https://www.repetier.com/documentation/repetier-host-mac/manual-control/

Sorry, don't use it so I can't be more specific. If you can capture that log you should see something that is problematic. Isn't much that can go wrong on that model (I have two) and easy/cheap to fix.

3. -PC

-PC Member

Hey Mark,

Slic3r is doing its job, I get all gcode nice and neat, the log window also, at this point, doesn't show any errors

Code:
    19:18:32.406 : Slic3r command:C:\Program Files\Repetier-Host\Slic3r\slic3r.exe --load "C:\Documents and Settings\PC\Local Settings\Application Data\RepetierHost\slic3r.ini" --print-center 116,99 -o "C:\Documents and Settings\PC\Local Settings\Application Data\RepetierHost\composition.gcode" "C:\Documents and Settings\PC\Local Settings\Application Data\RepetierHost\composition.obj"
    19:18:34.421 : <Slic3r> => Processing triangulated mesh
    19:18:35.531 : <Slic3r> => Generating perimeters
    19:18:39.859 : <Slic3r> => Detecting solid surfaces
    19:18:40.937 : <Slic3r> => Preparing infill surfaces
    19:18:40.937 : <Slic3r> => Detect bridges
    19:18:41.109 : <Slic3r> => Generating horizontal shells
    19:18:41.359 : <Slic3r> => Combining infill
    19:18:41.375 : <Slic3r> => Infilling layers
    19:18:46.234 : <Slic3r> => Generating skirt
    19:18:46.250 : <Slic3r> => Exporting G-code to C:\Documents and Settings\PC\Local Settings\Application Data\RepetierHost\composition.gcode
    19:18:51.875 : <Slic3r> Done. Process took 0 minutes and 17.438 seconds
    19:18:51.875 : <Slic3r> Filament required: 4059.4mm (28.7cm3)

From here, if I try to run the job it won't start. sometimes it won't even heat up the extruder :( I think now that my issue could be on the RAMPS board. what do you think?

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Do you have a bad thermistor where RAMPS never reports that the hotend is at temp to start the homing and printing process?

5. -PC

-PC Member

nope, I have temperature of both bed and extruder. But I notice now that , sometimes, if you try heat up the bed to 80 degrees, it will go to 70 and stop, and sometimes the extruder wont even start heating up, but sometimes it does and the job still not starting.

weird, the frustration is that everything was working yesterday :(

Thats why I am just looking for feedback, maybe someone here already had an issue like that and could point me out to probable solutions.

cheers
    PC

6. -PC

-PC Member

I got the printer to work, disabling the heated bed altogether.

That makes me think that might be an issue with the RAMPS after all.

I will keep you guys posted, thanks for all :)

PC

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There have been issues with Q3 (the MOSFET that drives the heated bad) going bad. Easiest fix is to swap a new RAMPS 1.4 in. The betas use generic RAMPS 1.4, get one on Amazon (less than 20 bucks) and replace it. The stepper drivers need to either be moved from the old RAMPS to the new one or replace them too (they are a couple of dollars each). You can also just buy a kit that has everything :) Including the Arduino: https://www.amazon.com/OSOYOO-Printer-Controller-Stepper-Heatsink/dp/B0111ZSS2O

danzca6 likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Check the wiring to the bed heater and the connections for it on the RAMPS and see if there are any signs of overheating.

9. -PC

-PC Member

10. danzca6

Looking at the pins, you might have to solder some more header pins for accessory items at some point, but looks good. The one Mark linked to gives you plenty of parts for the future as well as today and the header pins look good.

mark tomlinson and -PC like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

While any generic RAMPS 1.4 will work as @danzca6 has mentioned some cheaper ones are short pins that are less commonly used.
    Besides, the kits you can get are cheaper overall and you get every part of the electronics you will ever need to fix the Robo :)

Also make sure you sanity check the wiring as I mentioned before swapping in and burning up another RAMPS due to bad wiring or a bad heated bed.

12. danzca6

This old video might help as well.