1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo3d R1+ Marlin 2.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jordan Weinrich, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Jordan Weinrich

Jordan Weinrich New Member

Okay so I am trying to switch over to marlin 2.0 and could not figure out where to start or how to do this. I found this thread: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/marlin-2-0-x-release-for-robo-r1.22898/page-2
    but had no luck at switching over. Is there anyone who can give me step by step instructions on how to do this, or possibly share their firmware with me so that i can edit it for my values and set-up and flash the darn thing to my printer? I do not have an lcd. Any help would be appreciated!!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@Bradf80 @WheresWaldo

I personally am still on 1.x for all of my R1 style machines. However there have been a number of people who have made the switch.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am not using 2.0, nor have I looked at it since a cursory look when it released. Have you looked here for a guide, http://marlinfw.org/docs/basics/install_arduino.html (not Robo specific but since Robo's R1 uses a standard RAMPS board it should be loadable with those instructions.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you post your errors/problems (details) we can probably add some value if you want to continue down this path.

5. Jordan Weinrich

I copied the error messages.

Arduino: 1.6.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

C:\Users\aceko\AppData\Local\Temp\buildbc13800f5f86a0dfe67caddacb125aae.tmp/core\core.a(main.cpp.o): In function `main':

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/main.cpp:37: undefined reference to `setup'

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/main.cpp:47: undefined reference to `loop'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Also why does this version have a lot fewer tabs? Screenshot (6).png Screenshot (7).png

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You do not have the full source which explains why you are getting those errors. I think All you have are the two files that the one user edited to make it compile for the Robo...

Sorry, but I have not looked into using this as I mentioned, but perhaps start by downloading the marlin 2.0 source :

http://marlinfw.org/meta/download/

Then merge in the files (like configuration.h and configurationadv.h) that are specific to the Robo version.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I presume those two are the only ones that need modification for version 2.x of Marlin, that certainly was the case for version 1.x

8. Jordan Weinrich

I have downloaded Marlin 2.0 directly from github but have not tried merging them yet so I will try that and let you know how it goes!

9. Jordan Weinrich

I got error messages such as " filament_unload_retract_length is now filament_unload_purge_retract" 3 or 4 times and then this one which I don't understand.

Arduino: 1.6.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

sketch\src\libs\vector_3.cpp: In member function 'void vector_3::normalize()':

sketch\src\libs\vector_3.cpp:68:9: error: ambiguous overload for 'operator*=' (operand types are 'vector_3' and 'double')

*this *= RSQRT(sq(x) + sq(y) + sq(z));

^

sketch\src\libs\vector_3.cpp:68:9: note: candidates are:

In file included from sketch\src\libs\../inc/MarlinConfig.h:42:0,

from sketch\src\libs\vector_3.cpp:42:

sketch\src\libs\../inc/../core/types.h:368:17: note: XYZval<T>& XYZval<T>::eek:perator*=(const float&) [with T = float]

FI XYZval<T>& operator*=(const float &v) { x *= v; y *= v; z *= v; return *this; }

^

sketch\src\libs\../inc/../core/types.h:369:17: note: XYZval<T>& XYZval<T>::eek:perator*=(const int&) [with T = float]

FI XYZval<T>& operator*=(const int &v) { x *= v; y *= v; z *= v; return *this; }

^

exit status 1

The ":: o"s [without a space between the o and :] in the word "operator" are turning into that face

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Are you on the latest version of the Arduino compiler?
    Looks like you are on an old version:

"Arduino: 1.6.9 (Windows 10)"

For Marlin 2.x you need to be on the latest compiler.

Try: 1.8.10
    https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Post a zip with your config files only -- I can try it and see.

12. Jordan Weinrich

I am on the old compiler. Poops... Will I have to undo my changes? I think I kept track of all of them.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

no just open the source you edited in the new compiler once you update it

14. Jordan Weinrich

Well I have the newest version of the compiler and now I am receiving different errors.

Arduino: 1.8.10 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

sketch\src\module\configuration_store.cpp: In static member function 'static void MarlinSettings::reset()':

sketch\src\module\configuration_store.cpp:2278:43: error: 'JUNCTION_DEVIATION_MM' was not declared in this scope

planner.junction_deviation_mm = float(JUNCTION_DEVIATION_MM);

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In file included from c:\users\aceko\appdata\local\temp\arduino_build_948799\sketch\src\inc\MarlinConfigPre.h:37:0,

from c:\users\aceko\appdata\local\temp\arduino_build_948799\sketch\src\inc\marlinconfig.h:28,

from sketch\src\module\configuration_store.h:24,

from sketch\src\module\configuration_store.cpp:47:

c:\users\aceko\appdata\local\temp\arduino_build_948799\sketch\configuration.h:828:32: error: array must be initialized with a brace-enclosed initializer

#define NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET 0.9 //added because it told me to

^

sketch\src\module\configuration_store.cpp:2355:32: note: in expansion of macro 'NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET'

constexpr float dpo[XYZ] = NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET;

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Multiple libraries were found for "LiquidCrystal.h"
    Used: C:\Program
    exit status 1

Attached Files:

15. Jordan Weinrich

Okay... New update!!! I went into the configuration_store.cpp file and declared the float "JUNCTION_DEVIATION_MM" the line above "planner.junction_deviation_mm = float(JUNCTION_DEVIATION_MM);" and it compiled with no issues.

After starting a print when the bed is heating up it will not let me hit "stop", the bed keeps heating up and it will not let me interfere like it used to. Any ideas on that one?

#15 Jordan Weinrich, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Post that to the Marlin forum. I suspect it is a change in behavior they did (intentional or otherwise).

Check out the "Join the Community" section of http://marlinfw.org/docs/development/contributing.html

remember most of us here are not using that version at all :)
    The thread exists because a few brave souls HAVE experimented with it, but they have not chimed back in yet ...

Even on my non-Robo printers I have not migrated to Marlin 2.0 (or bought one that uses it).
    So while I have a lot of experience with Marlin 1.x on various printers -- none yet on 2.x

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So, while I can help you with Robo specific Marlin issues and possibly some Marlin 2.x compilation woes... I am not hte best resource for Marlin 2.x :)

18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I think the issues you are seeing is that the files modified here were all based on Marlin 2.0 beta code and Marlin devs are notorious for changing the names of variables when the mood suits them. So likely that is why there are mismatches. I haven't looked at Marlin 2.0 in a very long time, but from memory, using 2.0 on an 8-bit board like the RAMPS really doesn't give you any better prints than using Marlin 1.9.x. And 1.9.x is pretty robust.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. Jordan Weinrich

I've got it all figured out and working. I have for about a week or so and everything is good. I'm just trying to get linear advance down now because I use a bowden setup.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. Aaron Coakley

Aaron Coakley New Member

It's been a year since any movement on this thread, and while trying to get mine upgraded and working ran into quite a few hurdles, so sharing some experience here.

Step 1 is on PlatformIO and Win10, I had to add a shortened core directory, the user profile directory and Win10 don't get along
    core_dir = E:/TEMP/

Seems to be
    working configuration for Marlin bugfix-2.0.x on my R1+ attached

Thermistor type 11 for the extruder
    Unified Bed Leveling - needs reduction, does way too much currently but at-least it functions
    Had to lower accelerations dramatically
    Had issues with fade height somehow stretching Z steps for half the calibration cube, so fade is currently at 1mm until I figure this one out

Hopefully this gets someone else started and/or some feedback on better settings would be appreciated

Attached Files:

Henradrie and mark tomlinson like this.