1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved ROBO3D R1 Plus Not Printing.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Muhammad Amir, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No. Adjusting the threaded rods works (briefly) one-time.
    You need to adjust the Z offset. This is a value the slicer (whatever slicer you use) will apply to determine how far off the bed the extruder will START extruding. Yours is too high.

There should be a place to edit the startup GCode script for your slicer. This is mine:

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M565 Z-1.0 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level

See the M565? That is where you adjust the Z offset. Less negative is closer tot he bed, more negative is further from the bed.
    Yours should be moved incrementally closer until you can get a good first layer:

https://printedsolid.com/blogs/news/tagged/first-layer

this would be further from the bed:
    M565 Z-1.1

this would be Closer to the bed:
    M565 Z-0.9

#41 mark tomlinson, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  2. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

can i ask very-stupid question ? :confused: can you please guide me where i can find about slicer, what is slicer? as i mentioned in the starting of this thread im new & learning. and you guys are very helpful.

I saw in matterControl slicer in option thats what your talking about?
    Thanks

#42 Muhammad Amir, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

http://edutechwiki.unige.ch/en/Slicers_and_user_interfaces_for_3D_printers

You create a 3D model in a CAD program. You generate an STL file from that for the printer.
    To actually print the STL it must be run through a SLICER which generates the G-CODE that drives the printer.

Robo includes MatterControl with the printer which is a host program -- that means a software front-end that will run a slicer for you.

There is a lot of (different) software involved in actually printing. The hardware (the Robo3D) is merely one part of the equation.

Rigmarol and Geof like this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The slicer is the program you load your model into,press print and the printer prints :) ex. Matter control, cura, slic3r, simplify3d.etc

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A minor point of order -- MatterControl and Repetier (and Cura) host are not slicers. They are the host programs. Slic3r and MatterSlice are slicers :) There is a Cura slicer, not to be confused with the Cura UI

Rigmarol and Geof like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

Great... it is really helpful im reading ... it look like MatterControl is interface OR UI of G-Code .. does it generate G-Code File also ?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The slicer you choose generates the G-Code
    I don't use MatterControl, but I think it supports MatterSlice and Slic3r

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

MatterControl in your case is the UI for the slicer which generates the G-Code which is then sent to the printer for printing. This is called 'host program' so really MatterControl is the host program.

10. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

Great... Thanks guys ... really appreciate your help and support, where i can read this file or settings ?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Rigmarol likes this.
  12. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

Hi Guys,

i have installed Ardunio app how can copy current firmware and edit?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

danzca6 likes this.
  14. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Yeah since you do have ABL setup, check your threaded roads on your Z axis. Make sure you know if you have 5/16" rods or the 8mm ones. You can do that easily if you have a nut of one of those sizes and see if it threads on alright. Otherwise you will need to count the threads per inch. Definitely want the right firmware or you will just bruise your forehead trying to get it working right. It really is a shame that there isn't an easy way to get the current firmware off of the Arduino. That would be the safest starting point.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

so your saying..

i can not pull files from printer currently running firmware. I can only upload new changes along with right downloaded firmware right? for that this is important i should know what hardware im using right?.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Arduino code is "cross-compiled" for the arduino and what is sent over is object-code (binary data) not source code (readable data) so even if you could get it back it is unreadable by humans :)

The stock source code for each version of the printer is on the linked robo web page, but you need to know exactly which one you have and which options to get the right one.

17. danzca6

That's right. You can send some commands gcode commands using the terminal window in MatterControl to get some of the current settings like M503

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

great... got it ...

M503 G-Command will show me all existing sittings right ? can i edit without uploading new firmware ?

or if it is important to upload & if i'll upload accidentally wrong what will happen will it dead ?

19. danzca6

M503 will give you a lot of the current settings for you to save off into a text file or something for reference later. SO when you download the arduino files for you machine you can always revert back to what those settings where prior to the update. The main diff in the firmware versions is the Z steps. If you get the wrong one, then you will have issues moving your z axis. There are other differences as well, but that is probably the biggest. If that is the case, you just load another. Normally not something that will kill the printer...normally. I do try to not update the firmware unless there is a good reason to do it.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Some host programs will let you edit some settings without reloading the firmware.
    The downside to that is if the arduino need to be replaced or gets a glitch you do not have a copy to reload.
    Far better (IMHO) to have a hard-copy you can reload.

Loading the wrong firmware just means it will not print correctly (for example if you loaded the incorrect Z step then the models are too tall or not tall enough). (edit: what @danzca6 said)

Geof and danzca6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.