1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

RoboLCD

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JeffreyB, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

bahahhahahahaha. Because regardless of who they are you tubers are not professionals that do not run the machine for long term. Not saying they wouldn't just saying they cant have a machine for a year waiting on a review. Most seem like 2 to 4 weeks. Frankly...I dont care what it does in 2 to 4 weeks. whats it do in 6 months? Longevity is the key to production :D

figure at the absolute most in 2 weeks a machine can run for 560 hours. On a large format printer thats like 5.5 prints :D I'd sure hope the machine I bought on a recommendation can run a heck of a lot longer than that...but if the "test" period is 2 weeks how would they know. :D

edit: Be advised of who is giving you the "information" is all I'm saying :D. I'm not saying they are right or wrong just think about from their perspective with the machine. I've had machines that were 2.5k that ran great for 6 months then fell to crap. Thats hard to justify that much money when you have to rebuild the machine every 6 months eh ? :D

#21 Geof, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. Hanover

Hanover Member

You guys are the one who brought up Tom Salanderer.

As he was putting the CR-10 together and doing his first print, he was surprised at how solid the machine was and how well his test print came out for a $500 printer. It really wasn't a review. It was just observations as he was assembling it and doing his first test print. His main concern was that he could use it as-is out of the box and it succeeded at that. It was a 3.5 hour video and I got to watch the assembly and see how machine works. It looked like it would be perfect for the occasional use for when you needed something with a larger print volume. Since I'm trying to get into cosplay props/jewelry, it would be great for doing hats and masks, swords, daggers, etc. There's another guy who also makes toys and props, Uncle Jessy who also recommended the CR-10. He compares it to his $1000 BQ Hephestos 2 printer and the CR-10 came out better.

I wouldn't have considered the CR-10, except there are a lot of videos out there that show you just how easy it is to get it set up and get it running. My first printer was an ANET A8 and was turned off by the fact that the printer seemed to be more about modding it than actually doing work with it. Originally, the CR-10 kind of looked like the same thing and I didn't even give it a second look until the buzz that was going around the internet.

I completely understand that YouTubers are trying to get you to click on the vendors links so they can get clicks and vendors credits. Thats why I watch/read several videos and reviews and get a general consensus. Thats why I also look for bad reviews so I can see how uncompromising they are. I did the same thing when I was considering the R2 (the R1 was suggested by a friend of mine who really likes hers).

Anyways, enough about the CR-10. This is a Robo forum after all. :)

#22 Hanover, Aug 29, 2017
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Not I my friend :D and if you like the machine and are comfortable go for it. I would never steer someone away from the machine (I have to many to try that argument :D ) Just be ready to knock some china out of it. If you want pics of the machine in person send me a PM and I'll send you pics of mine. (or of course, if you have any questions about it)

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, and of the ones I out there I respect is opinion the most... but. It is an opinion and unless they get time to really use a machine it is not a huge asset. Tom Sanladerer has stopped reviews for that very reason.

5. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

At this point I think the only machine I've consistently heard enough good things about to take the plunge and spend some money on is the (Original) Prusa i3 Mk2s. That's likely what I'll buy once I move to a bigger place.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've got one of those too lol. Decent machine. Good quality components. Standard tinkering to be done after a few thousand hours. Mine was one of the first sent out and still have a 2 part thermistor, if they still do that, cut that out and solder the connection (the connector gets loose due to the movement of the x axis and causes thermal runaway - no good lol). Really its been pretty low problem, high production machine. Hate PEI :D

7. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a 2-part thermistor? o_O

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

no ignorance, I phrased it wrong. Their wiring had a connector (standard E3D connector from thermistor ) and the connector that connects the wiring from the thermistor to the wiring to the mini Rambo failed....4x lol. Then I'd had enough and cut out the connector and spliced the wiring...

That and PEI is my only 2 real big complaints about the machine...and they arnt really complaints seeing as the ROI on the machine took under 3 weeks lol.

9. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Ooh, I see, thank you! Yeah, that sounds like something to keep in mind, definitely. You don't want bed heating (or temperature monitoring) circuits failing.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

nah they have thermal runaway enabled so it gets to about 300 c on the hotend and shuts down...but thats enough to make a nasty mess out of most materials lol

11. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Well one of the 2 ways - either you suck it up to the manufacturers, OR you precisely build your whole channel on honesty - but you've got to be consistent in your choice.

Kinda OT, but this is my kind of reviewer:

It has more value to a company that's doing things right.

Hanover likes this.
  12. Hanover

Hanover Member

I've been considering the Original Prusa too. I should have just bought one of those rather than the DIY Anet A8. I might get one just to have a printer I can really tinker with (that already works out of the box) without having to worry about interrupting my work. I'm pretty good at the designing and slicing, but it's the hardware part that I really need to be better at.

#32 Hanover, Aug 29, 2017
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Its a much safer unit than the Anet (assuming its a stock anet). I think even if you pick one up you'll still be happy you did. Its still a sub 1000 machine but performs as well as some of my 2k machines.

14. Hanover

Hanover Member

In the end, I went with an original Prusa. :) My goal is to have four printers and one of them be a large volume printer. I'll wait a year and see if people are still going on about the CR-10.

That being said, I'm thinking of selling my R1+ and replacing it with a Prusa. The Prusa performs like a bumblebee. Can't believe the results I've been getting. I had to do a lithophane for someone and the details were great, even going full speed.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Good call. Solid machine