1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Rolling Back Firmware Using MatterControl (V4 back to V3)

Discussion in 'Software' started by jonebersole, Jul 30, 2014.

1. jonebersole

jonebersole Member

Some users have recently upgraded to the newest firmware, provided by MatterControl (Version RoBo3DR1AUTOV4), and are experiencing issues with not being able to heat the bed temp above 85 degrees. Obviously this limitation can't exist if you want to print ABS.

So, I contacted the guys over at MatterControl (very nice by the way) and they indicated that this is a change that was requested by the RoBo team in Version 4 of the firmware to limit overloading the electronics and possibly causing a fire. The software is set so that when it hits a bit above 85 degrees, it will trigger a shutdown of the heating elements and require a hard reboot of the R1. I've tried multiple testing methods and with V4 of the firmware, the most you can really heat is 83 degrees. When you select 85 degrees, as it reaches its designated temp the first time, it overheats and gets to about 86 or so and shuts off.

After you do the V4 update, you are basically stuck with it, unless you do some tricks to make the software think the hardware is something else. When you are at V4, there is no 'Revert' button. I will explain how to trick the software (instructions provided by MatterControl) so you can easily reflash your firmware.

NOTE: MatterControl specifically said the recommended firmware is V4, so unless you need to print ABS, they would highly recommend staying at V4.

I don't know what the long-term solution is for ABS printing and the firmware. I also don't know what V4 fixes, so I might be shooting myself in the foot by using V3. These are questions that either RoBo or MatterControl would need to answer.

1. Open MatterControl. Select your printer in the upper left. Mine is labeled 'R1 3D Printer'. This opens the following window.
      PrinterSelection.png

2. Select the 'Edit' link at the top. This allows you to select a printer to edit as shown. Then select the 'Edit' link to edit your printer.
      EditPrinter.png

3. In the 'Printer Model' area, type this EXACTLY: RoBo3DR1AUTOV3
      EditSettings.png

4. Save all of your changes and disconnect from the printer.
    5. Shutdown MatterControl and turn off the printer and disconnect the USB cable.
    6. Turn everything back on and start MatterControl. You should now see the option to revert the firmware.
      RevertAvailable.png

7. Go ahead and revert it back to V3. After the update, you will be at V3. You will also have the revert option back, which I would assume will let you go back to V2, but I didn't try that. In addition, you will have the V4 upgrade option also available. (Button is cut off, but you can tell it is upgrade).
      RevertCompleted.png

3 people like this.
  2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Thanks Jon. That looks useful.
    @Jerry RoBo 3D Any comments on this solution and the bed temperature limit in the latest firmware?

3. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I have version 5 from the latest upgrade.

4. Krish

Krish Member

Cheers for the guide! very useful information :)

5. jonebersole

jonebersole Member

I can't seem to find a V5 of the firmware like Peter has. I have V 1.1.4 of MatterControl and I don't have an upgrade option when I run at V4 of the firmware. I'm using windows. I don't know if he has a mac and it is different or not. Peter states (above) that he doesn't have that problem in V5 though. As soon as I figure out how to get V5 I'll let you know if the problem still exists.

6. Peter Krska

I use Windows Vista on an older HP Pavillion laptop.

In MC there is an About button. It shows a red mark when there is an update.

7. Krish

Krish Member

Version RoBo3DR1AUTOV4 seems to be the latest. Not sure where you are getting RoBo3DR1AUTOV5 from... the about button only updates the matter control software.

8. Peter Krska

I'll get a screenshot later for you.

#8 Peter Krska, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
  9. jonebersole

jonebersole Member

Cool. You must be on the short list. ;) This is what I have in MC

upload_2014-7-31_22-2-30.png

10. Peter Krska

Go to the control page and scroll to the bottom. What does it say? Should be a version there as well.

11. jonebersole

jonebersole Member

12. Peter Krska

Here you go,

I heated my extruder to 220, and my bed was heating to 103 and climbing, I just stopped it since I need to print something now. but it just proves I can get a higher temp on my Matter Control firmware Robo 3D R1 V5

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Tom Dig

Tom Dig New Member

I did all this, more than once but still has the V4 firmware.
    The only difference now is that there is a [Revert] button that was not there before.
    When I click the [Revert] button it goes through the process but when done still has V4

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

15. Krish

Krish Member

That's odd.. when I updated the model number, it updated and stayed on v4 but then I hit revert and it went to v2... then I hit update and it went to v3.. but yeah use Mikes link in the arduino software.

16. Peter Krska

Why not install the v4 and then restart the computer. Wait a few days and see if it updates to v5.

Use it in the meantime. Perhaps it triggers an update after a while of using it.

Does Matter Control support have anything to say about updating to v5? Is there a direct link to it?

Mine clearly shows v5, so it must be available.

17. skeeeee

skeeeee New Member

I have the same issues with the heat bed and extruder limits.... im showing V4 also. im looking forward to the V5 update so i dont have to flash the board with higher restrictions... please post if you have a way of getting V5 without just waiting for it to pop up on its own..

18. felixhcat

felixhcat New Member

Does anyone have a link to V4 firmware? I'm having a problem with my extruder motor working intermittently and can't find V4 firmware to test (I upgraded to it when I first got the new R1 but had to downgrade for firmware tweaking and, after a new issue emerged, troubleshooting.

Really want a link to V4 firmware with auto-leveling. Why is there no central repository? What kind of a software project is this??

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is not primarily a software project :)
    Largely that is generic MARLIN software, the hardware is the project.

20. felixhcat

felixhcat New Member

It is custom firmware and therefore, the custom firmware forms a unique software project-- one with absolutely no centralization or repo that I can find. Anyway-- that's the least of my concerns as my entire printer is non-functional due to (faulty E0 pins??)