1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Screeching y axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jason rowsey, Aug 9, 2017.

1. jason rowsey

jason rowsey New Member

I just want to make clear that this is my fault, I tinkered with the back corner to fix a clicking sound(which worked) but am now getting this horrible screeching sound. Any ideas? I have oiled everything that I can think of. I have a meeting with robo 3d on Monday, but can't wait that long.

2. jason rowsey

jason rowsey New Member

Trying to attach video

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Probably something binding in the drive for that axis. Check the gantry (the rods/belts that move the extruder around) and make sure everything is lined up correctly, not hitting the sides, etc.

4. jason rowsey

jason rowsey New Member

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

well thats aweful lol. Like @mark tomlinson said you'll need to check the gantry for square and make sure nothing is rubbing on anything. Something got moved when you were working on it. Its very hard to see anything in the video (and likely so with any pictures) but we can try to help you if you can take some good pictures and show us what you think the problem might be.

6. jason rowsey

jason rowsey New Member

So an update, I did my best to re align all the belts and made sure everything was tightened. I also added some wd40 to specifice spots on the y axis and the sounds stopped after about 10 sec of printing.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Keep a close eye on it. If the linear bearings are bad they will score the rods and that will mean replacing a lot more than just the bearings :)

Geof likes this.
  8. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

It is the pulley on the right Y axis binding up against the bearing that goes into the plastic case (back of the machine). A shim would work to prevent the pulley from rubbing on the whole bearing like it does now. So you want a shim that matches the inner race of the small bearing they used. I really wish they would have gone with the Zortrax type bearing setup.

If anyone wants one I will grab some from here - eBay link.

Edit: It could be any of the bearings I guess that are up against the pulleys, on my machine it was the above mentioned bearing. Made me want to see the dentist to get all my teeth pulled...

#8 jwmueller, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017