1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved SD card print failed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sam275, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Sam275

Sam275 New Member

I have a Robo R1 plus that I just got, I was printing from the SD card slot just fine and I had my Laptop plugged into the USB, then the printer stopped and my laptop said unable to communicate with the printer, Is there any way to continue the print from where it stopped and does anyone know why if printing from the SD card it needs to communicate with the computer?

#1 Sam275, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It depends on how you launched it from the SD card. Some host programs will let you launch it and then disconnect, others you need to forcibly disconnect (like by unplugging the USB cable). So without knowing what software you were using I can't be more specific. So software will chat with the printer when printing regardless of how you launched it and a USB communications glitch can nail you. You can use an LCD controller to launch a print from the SD card with no computer attached. That is the sure way to not have the computer cause a glitch.

As for restarting the print ... the general answer is "nope" -- however if you know which layer it died on some slicers will let you either start slicing at a specific height or you can "sink" the model down so that the parts already printed are "below the surface of the bed" and then slice it (since only the printable areas will slice) and print that.

Always tricky regardless of how you try to do it, safer to just restart the print.

Sam275 likes this.
  3. Sam275

Sam275 New Member

I decided to reprint it, and I am using MatterControl. Do you know some software that allows you to slice at levels or sink parts? Also thanks for the reply/answer

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, I haven't used any of the free slicers in years and Simplify3D allows for this (and isn't free) but the free ones used to support that as well... play with it. Meshmixer supports this in that it will allow you to do a "plane cut" and remove portions of a model (save the rest and then print that, etc.) Slic3r has a way to skip Z levels and I imagine Repetier host still exposes this to the user (it used to) and possibly MatterControl does too (I don't see anything popping up with Google and MatterControl so you will need to look through the settings).

https://forum.repetier.com/discussion/609/print-only-specific-layer-range