1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Semaphone timeout error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael B, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Michael B

Michael B New Member

I am at my Wit's End.

I am lucky to get an object to print before suffering the "semaphone timeout error," and the printing stops.
    • Using MatterControl 1.7. I have used MatterControl 1.5 (same problem) and MatterControl Build 2 (experimental; same problem.)
    • New USB cable. New USB port.
    • Altered baud rate (computer did not recognize printer so reset to default)
    • Unchecked the FIFO setting for the Arduino Port Properties
    • I have slowed the print speed
    • I have increased the print speed
    • I shutdown the Robo3D and close MatterControl after each print; then restart to begin a print
    • I can't print from the SDCard as the SDCard board is probably bad and is being replaced
    I am running out of ways of diagnosing the issue. I can't replicate the issue with any consistency, which is frustrating. I printed 3 objects this morning and the 4th died. I printed 2 object yesterday and never got another to print. Yet, in spite of leaving the machine on overnight and my computer running, I can print 3 objects, and not the 4th, even after cycling power on the printer and restarting MatterControl. So many variables to isolate.

Has anyone been through this experience? If so, did you resovlve? And, how?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You might also raise this on the MatterControl forums:

https://forums.matterhackers.com

(where that first post was) since they will be the ones to fix it if it is a bug.

4. Michael B

Michael B New Member

Hey, Mark, thanks for your reply. I actually have already been through those steps and downloaded the newest experimental version of MatterControl, and the problem still persists. I've tried Cura for Robo, and Repetier, as well, and Ultimaker Cura. I usually run through 3 or 4 slicing programs, and then return to MatterControl. People don't seem to care for it too much, but I find it offers a number of features for controlling my Robo 3D R+1 other slicers don't offer. And, MatterControl, while not completely reliable, seems to be able to print most often. The one thing I forgot to do, and am doing now, is moving to another computer. Thanks for your reply! #mb

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck. The semaphore is something internal to the host controller software and not really a hardware related issue so you need to get it to their attention if you want to get it fixed in MC.

Everybody finds their favorite software, best is what you like best.

6. Michael B

Michael B New Member

Ok, Thanks for the advice, Mark. Something is going on, though. I moved over and used a different computer and I am still getting the same problem. The SDCard reader is bad so I can't load prints and test that method until the replacement arrives.In the meantime, I will post on the MatterHackers board and see if I can find some joy. Cheers, #mb

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Try an older version of mattercontrol ... that is my last best guess. It wasn't doing it on the older ones.
    This could be a bug in their newer releases.

8. Michael B

Michael B New Member

Mark - I may have discovered some joy. I found an older version of MatterControl 1.2 and this seems to be working well. I discovered I can link Meshmixer to MatterControl 1.2, and use Meshmixer to tweak prints and then ship them off to MatterControl to print.

I would love to use Cura; I can't get accurate temperate readings and there appears to be no GCode console for performing manual bed-leveling.

9. Michael B

Michael B New Member

Nope, earlier versions of MatterControl lose communication with the printer, too. I just received a replacement microSD card in the mail. I need to by a microSD card, now, and test.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, it is possible it is an Arduino issue (although that particular error is software related and rather new to me).

11. Michael B

Michael B New Member

I'm just wondering if I have a bad Arduino board. I have scoured forums and Reddit, and I see no one else talking about this issue, except for the one MatterControl thread where developers said they fixed it.So, it must be a very rare issue.

To compound problems, Robo3D replaced my SDCard with a microSD card, going from an 8-pin bus to a 12-pin bus and no instructions on how I am going to connect these. Head on wall banging continues.

How hard is it to replace the Arduino board with another Arduino board and install the necessary firmware? Seems like a long-shot but I am at a loss right now.

#11 Michael B, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is pretty straight-forward. You undock/unplug the RAMPS (and that is where all the motor and switch wiring lands -- leave those connected) and then plug in the new Arduino, plug in the USB and reload the firmware.

However, that said, I am not sure it will help that problem, but... worth a shot. The symptom reported (semaphore problem) is all computer software related... nothing hardware involved with that itself, but mattercontrol could be falling into that failure due to something in the hardware (which is just bad software design, but doesn't address your issue). In short, if you can swing it then do it.