1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Serious Jam

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Adam Laird, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

I was running some purple esun filament that had been printing fine and now my printer is totally jammed. I've cranked the hotend up to 250 and tried everything I can think of to pull it out (including grabbing it with pliers and just pulling) but nothing's working. Is there anything else I can do without taking the whole head apart?

2. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Have you tried a cold pull? Assuming that filament is PLA (different materials follow different temperatures), heat up the nozzle to 210ºC or so to melt it, then bring it down to 90ºC. Then push down on the filament release button on the extruder and yank the filament out of there. It should come out with a rough shape of the inside of the nozzle.

Another thing you can try is clearing the clog from the other side, by using an acupuncture needle or similar thin metal item while the nozzle is hot. Use some wire brush on the outside too, for getting rid of plastic buildup on the outside of the nozzle. This has worked well for me when I had partial clogs.

Finally, another thing you can try is some nozzle cleaning filament. rigid.ink in the UK have a "floss" filament, but I've heard good things about nylon too.

Good luck!

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Even removing the hotend means you still have to heat it up and unclog it. You might have an easier time reaching it if you remove/dismount it. Worst case you need to dismantle the Hexagon. Souinds like you might have had heat creep to get it clogged above the heat break. Make sure the fans that cool the hotend itself are running (not the ones that cool printed parts).

I am including a video on assembly of the hexagon, disassembly is the reverse. Some parts (like removing the nozzle) need to be done hot.

supercazzola likes this.
  4. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

Thanks for the replies! Do you have an tips on getting the hexagon out?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

supercazzola likes this.
  6. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

This is probably a really stupid question, but do you have any tips on getting that screw loose? It's really stuck and I'm worried I'm either gonna strip it or that I'm wrecking the Allen wrench that came with the printer.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is however tight they made it :)
    It really wasn't too tight on mine, if you have a socket wrench allen use that ... you just need to get enough torque on it to get it loose. This T-handle works like a champ...

Wrench.jpg

8. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

Thanks! I'll see what we've got lying around!

9. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I've had to use a propane torch to remove a clog before. Taking apart the extruder and then heat with torch and then pick out the plastic, or push it out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

10. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

There's no way to get the screw out without totally destroying it. I tried using a little heat gun to heat the hexagon while it was in the housing but I don't think I got it hot enough. My dads got a bigger one but I'm afraid of damaging the rest of the print head. I'll call Robo in the next day or two and see what they have to say about it. Would asking them to send me a new print head if I send in the jammed one be going to far?

Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

With the machine under warranty they will likely do most things you ask. :D Give it a shot! I would for sure get some T handles and a good set of allen wrenches like @mark tomlinson pointed out above. Having good tools will save you so many stripped bolts (the tools that come with are not)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The entire frame of the hotend mount is aluminum. You are probably not going to be able to heat up a big'Ol chunk of aluminum far enough to matter if that screw is seized.

Geof likes this.