1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Set Z Offsets in Cura

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hawksmvc21, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Hawksmvc21

Hawksmvc21 New Member

I am using the latest version of Cura and can't find where to adjust the first layer Z offsets for better bed adhesion. If I am printing an initial layer height of .3mm, the nozzle is .3mm from the bed when it prints so it is just laying down plastic instead of "squishing" it to the bed. How, in Cura, can I tell the g code to print the first layer with the nozzle closer to the bed so that I can get better bed adhesion?

2. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

I'm using Cura ver 15.04.6 with the Robo R1+
    I don't mess with Z offset to get a good first layer.
    In the Advanced tab there is a setting called Initial Layer Thickness. I set mine to 0.3
    Just below, I set Initial Layer Line Width to 110%. That gives the extra plastic to squish onto the bed.
    I also use 3M blue painters tape on the bed for adhesion. Other folks may recommend other methods such as hair spray, but I like the tape method.
    Finally, I only achieved 100% reliable first layers after upgrading the Marlin firmware to use MESH bed leveling. See:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...rcbugfix-post-rc7-for-r1-r1-plus.5806/page-43
    Scroll down to posting #847

#2 Ed Ferguson, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The key there is the mesh since without that Z offset the ABL will not usually work correctly.

4. Hawksmvc21

Hawksmvc21 New Member

So use the older version of Cura (15.04.6) instead of the most recent? Also, I'm not familiar at all with firmware so I'm a little confused on what you mean by updating the Marlin Firmware

5. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

I tried the latest version of Cura and did not like it. One main issue was that it would not reliably connect to the Robo. Now that I added an LCD display / SD card reader to the Robo, I run GCode off the SD card and no longer connect the Robo to my PC. But I continue to use Cura 15.04.06 which can be downloaded off their site.

Marlin is open source firmware that runs the Arduino board in your Robo. It's the printer's operating system. In a nutshell it interprets the GCode you create on your slicer program (Cura in your case) to create the paths, run the stepper motors, heaters, display, etc. It also contains configuration settings for your specific model of printer.

Marlin has been improved and updated beyond what Robo is using on their R1 printers. The new MESH bed leveling function actually creates a height map of your bed surface and compensates the GCode accordingly so your print lays flat on the bed. The issues I had with getting a good first layer were solved after I updated Marlin and began using MESH leveling. I now get a good first layer - first time, every time. Of course your Cura settings affect print quality and I spent some time tweaking my settings overall. I also keep notes on PLA filament differences (brand & colors) - hotend and bed temperatures are the only variables I change when switching filament ( I use PLA only).

This thread explains the Marlin upgrade process:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...rcbugfix-post-rc7-for-r1-r1-plus.5806/page-43

Posting #847 contains links to the latest versions.

#5 Ed Ferguson, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if your question is how do you do it in Cura (set the z offset) you open the start up script and insert

M565 Z-1.0; set the z offset

this goes between the G28 and G29 commands with the stock robo set up (and all slicers I have played with).

after that is inserted you will have to test and adjust the -1.0 number. it is default. -0.9 is closer to the bed -1.1 is further from the bed. Everyones Z offset is different (even on two "identical machines" in the same room) so test and adjust. for what its worth 2 of my printers use to have a z offset before I switched to a different firmware. one was -.55 and one was -.73. you'll have to find what works for your machine.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Rigmarol and Geof like this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed

9. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the release myself.
    I usually dive right in but I'm still too new to this.
    I think my warrantee expired last month.