1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Setup for Geckotek3d bed surface?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Rat_Patrol, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Wonder if anybody has done this, what settings they used. I know from dabbling with it last year that the hot end (when hot) digging into the geckotek build plate causes instant issues, so its either cold leveling or disable auto-level.

Just wonder if anybody has the bugs out of that process.

2. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Well, my new Gecko bed shipped, so I will be giving it a try. I'm thinking I may cut out a small corner where the machine homes (changed firmware to home at X0 Y0) and just home to the bare removable plate. Z offset would handle it from there.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

In case anybody cares, the switch to the Geckotek setup went pretty well.

The steel pins build into the aluminum plate don't line up perfectly with the magnets on the Y axis causing a slight rise (about .4mm) on the right side, but mesh leveling took care of that.

Speaking of which, I would not even think about this setup w/o mesh leveling. My nozzle NEVER touches the coated bed, except at home (which is now X0 Y0 on my machine) where I cut a small amount of the coating off to get down to bare, clean metal. Jamming a nozzle into this build surface isn't a good idea, and doesn't work well. I tried one of their plates clipped to the glass bed with the OEM auto-level before with extremely poor results and a damaged build surface. I ran through the mesh gauging sequence, gauged and corrected my offset, and its printing wonderfully. I was worried about jerk/acceleration values with the much heavier bed, but so far no issues or adjustments needed. The new aluminum bed is also extremely sturdy, a sharp contrast to the flexing glass of the OEM.

The ONLY issue is that the stock ROBO power supply can't heat the bed up much past 70*, which their website plainly informs you of. After emailing their tech support (owner?), he said that in his trials, a 24v power supply and relay quickly heated his bed to 100*. I have those components on order, otherwise it takes good while to get to 70* for printing PETG, but on the plus side the entire bed should be a more uniform temp since its aluminum.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Stock takes both of mine to 110 (albeit slowly past the 85 degree mark)

5. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

My stock heater power supply is now seemingly over-heating trying to supply this bed. Keeps shutting down and killing the print.

Tomorrow the upgraded supply and relay come :D

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Got the heater power supply upgrade done, this thing heats up very nicely now :D

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  7. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Do you have any pictures of it? they show it on their website but not installed on a robo. ( their bed im talking about )

8. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

I'll try to remember to take one tomorrow. Sharp looking actually :)

Geof likes this.
  9. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Pic attached

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson, KTMDirtFace and Geof like this.
  10. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member