1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Silent Robo3D

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Oisin, Feb 8, 2016.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Waldo, I'm hoping I will need the beep someday to know when printing is done. Right now I can hear it moving in my family room on the first floor as I read and the printer is in the basement with the door closed. Geesh! But my hearing is really sharp I'm told.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It's the damn fans! If there was a way to get passive cooling to work or use a peltier cooler with just a heatsink then maybe you could make is much quieter. With the bushings it is not quiet but still many decibels lower in volume than LM8UU.

Maybe we can convince @jim3Dbot to make his next project peltier cooling his hotend! :D

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You could just pop for quieter fans, but that is a bit pricey too.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Already done, still too loud.

5. Oisin

Oisin Member

I've installed quieter fans. When I flip the switch, only the slightest hissing can be heard from the fan cooling the extruder barrel. I've also installed vibration dampeners and oiled the rods so the carriage and bed glide smoothly. Definitely the greatest source of noise for me are the stepper motors. I've lined the cupboard with duvets like I said I would too. All in all the decibel level has gone from 39 with no mods to 26 with them. Still very much sleep-preventative, but much better. All I can do is build an enclosure and put it in my shed, I guess... I didn't want to do that because it easily gets far below freezing every night here and I was worried about the laptop that controls the printer.

6. Oisin

Oisin Member

I think another way to potentially reduce noise and maybe even improve the quality of the prints would be if I could control the acceleration, so it doesn't just jerk about for direction changes. I've noticed that sharp direction changed change the tone of the stepper, making it far more audible. A gradual change in speed might help with that, I'm thinking.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So lower the acceleration settings :)
    I think mine are both around 300.

8. Oisin

Oisin Member

Do you find it makes a difference in terms of noise or reducing ghosting? Also, stupid question: Where abouts in simplify3D is that option? I tried Googling it but it just came up with people asking for that option to be implemented.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Acceleration is in firmware not slicer.

10. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ah got you. So it's here in configuration.h that I should be changing values. It's the "DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1300" value I should be changing to 300, correct? What about the JERK values?

// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,800,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 5, 25} // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1300 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves /robo
    #define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

// Offset of the extruders (uncomment if using more than one and relying on firmware to position when changing).
    // The offset has to be X=0, Y=0 for the extruder 0 hotend (default extruder).
    // For the other hotends it is their distance from the extruder 0 hotend.
    // #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_X {0.0, 20.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the X axis
    // #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_Y {0.0, 5.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the Y axis

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
    #define DEFAULT_XYJERK 17.0 // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Don't mess with Jerk. This line is just stupid and Robo left it that way
    Code:
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000}
    The first two parameters are X and Y the third is Z the fourth is E. only the first two really affect quality and should really be somewhere below 1000. You will want to test his on your particular printer, I think mine are at 800 each.
    Code:
    #define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1300
    This line, I recall is about 600 on my machine. The MendelMax wiki has this as low as 300 and the R1 in a Mendel design.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. Bruce Jenkins

Bruce Jenkins Member

Just to throw something in the pile here... I would agree that the biggest noise is the stepper motors / drivers ... I have replaced all my fans and they are whisper quiet now. It is the harmonics of the stepper motors that cause the biggest noise.

I've also built a 3D printer (a Mega D-Bot XY core type 530 x 460 x 520 build bed) ... and I'm using a DuetWifi controller for it.
    They use a very similar stepper driver as the SILENTSTEPSTICK ... and it is so quiet - no noise at all really.

Filastruder (https://goo.gl/FOloVn) has the SILENTSTEPSTICK drivers ~$13/ea ... I'm going to be researching how to use them on my ROBO as it is a noisey little monster. Does great printing - but noisey.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Well, you could use G-code settings in your starting code to redefine acceleration & jerk for a specific program.

It's really handy for testing before committing to a firmware revision, too (or lugging a PC/laptop/cell phone with Arduino uploader on it to the printer and flashing it if you're set up in a shop instead of next to your PC like I am).

M201 for printing/movement acceleration, M203 for maximum feedrate, M204 for default acceleration, M205 for Jerk.

Pick an M code, then add your X, Y, Z & E values for each. Post and test.

WheresWaldo, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.