1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

SilentStepstick installation

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by banolka, Jul 4, 2016.

1. banolka

banolka Member

Hi, did anyone updated their stepaticks to TMC2100? I want to lower noise generated by the printer and this is one of my ideas.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

The main noise is fan noise on this thing. The PSU is very loud. There are better PSUs that don't have their fan running all the time. Just under big loads. That would help. Others have turned their PSU upside down. Adding feet to raise the printer helps with that as well. The hotend 25mm fan is another loud one. You can upgrade to a larger fan of better quality to get the db rating down. The next big one is the ramps board fan on the bottom. It's 40mm and loud. I want to go 60 or 80 mm and get the db down to around 15. Then I think you would want to venture into other noise reducing tactics. There are stepper motor dampers that I just bought and will try when they get in. I have seen the quieter stepper drivers, but not sure if they are worth it from some of the youtube videos I have seen. However, would like to try them just to see. Different bearings are another area that could lower noise and smooth out the operation a bit. Finally, doing an enclosure can reduce noise as well. My dad's printrbot is way quieter than my robo. Noise has been the annoying issue discussed a lot in this forum. Lots of ideas.