1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Silicone sock for R1+

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by NTWKMAN, Feb 5, 2018.

1. NTWKMAN

NTWKMAN New Member

Hello everyone,

I've had my R1+ for two months now and love it. I did the fan mod (fan shrouds) and my prints are looking amazing (that I can print my designs at all is "amazing" to me). However, because I'm using MatterControl not S3D or Cura I cannot ramp/curve up the fan speed as layers are built.

The problem is that the fans kick in at 100% after the 2nd layer and the hot end cannot compensate fast enough and the print errors out. For now I've just set the max fan speed to 60%, then manually go to 70%, 80%, 90% then 100% - then it's set for the remainder of the print.

Would a silicone sock allow me to start at 100% fan speed? I'd rather not baby the settings at the start of every print if possible. Also, what sock would I look for? I have the standard hotend - is it just called "hexagon"?

Sorry for my naivety, but my searches so far seem to just relate to the E3D V6

It's also worth noting that I'm using the Noctua fans, which already have less maximum air flow than what the shroud mod pages suggest - at 100% with the Noctua fans I'm already matching the suggested 60% power of the fans normally used - Because of this I do not think I'm just using too much air. The point of contact for the air is below the nozzle, but I suspect the cooling is reflecting back off the bed.

Hope that's enough info, forum search didn't hit any specific links or were for the E3D V6.

Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

AFAIK, the only one with Silicon socks available is E3D. Drop your fan speeds as you already have done or look into a new slicer :) Everything is a trade-off.

3. NTWKMAN

NTWKMAN New Member

Figured that was the case. Opinion: hotend upgrade or Simplify3D first? Consider I'd do both at some point.

Thanks Mark.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, I have done them both and I am way biased towards replacing the slicer :) That is the best thing we did. I fought and fought will all the free ones and haven't had a slicer issue since. Money well spent. We slice, we print. Even if I am handing it off to OctoPrint for actually printing :) Your printer, your money, your call. We use an E3D on every FDM machine we have (4) except for the C2 and we use Simplify for everything (except the DLP).

NTWKMAN likes this.
  5. NTWKMAN

NTWKMAN New Member

You're the best, thanks!