1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Silver Filament

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Mark Gandenberger, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Mark Gandenberger

Mark Gandenberger New Member

Can anyone recommend a good looking silver filament? I recently picked up some Silver Metal PLA filament from 3D Solutech. It worked okay but it looks more like a silver/grey. I am trying to replicate a brushed aluminum control plate, as well as some other aluminum and nickel hardware. I'm not expecting a perfect match but hope to find something closer than what I've got. FWIW, I currently have a stock R1 Plus, so filament that works well with it would be preferred. I'm still new to this but I figure I will upgrade to an E3D v6 at some point, once I have a better grasp of what I'm doing. If the E3D would open up better options on the silver filament, that might hasten my upgrade timeline.

Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Generally when color is important we just airbrush the models.

Edit: Most metallic colored filaments we have tried tend to, well, fall flat :)
    They don't end up looking very metallic (silver ends up looking more 'grey', gold more 'yellow', you get the idea)

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

What he said.

Mark Gandenberger likes this.
  5. Mark Gandenberger

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I might need to hunt for the airbrush I haven't used in 30 years! ;-)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One advantage to the metal infused ones (like the stainless steel, brass, copper, etc) is that they are heavy... they weigh more like a metal part if that ever matters.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

One suggestion once you find that 30 year old airbrush. The only metallic paints I have had real success with, ones that actually look like metal is Alclad Airbrush Lacquers. Hit this link for samples of their high-shine finishes. And remember your good airbrush techniques.

Most of the better hobby shops carry Alclad and you can buy it online too.

8. Mark Gandenberger

That might be like trying to remember what it was like having all my hair, but I'll give it a try! Thank you for the link!

Steve0 likes this.
  9. Gwen Scogin

Gwen Scogin New Member

I have used the proto-pasta stainless. you can get a brushed looking finish. I have had the best luck using a small sharpening stone. you will want to up the extrusion a bit to make sure you get a good surface on top that will give you a solid finish. Also be careful with it as it is not as flexible as normal pla.