1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3D Process Settings

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by WZ9V, Jul 10, 2016.

1. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Hoping to start a collection of working settings for various filaments in S3D for the Robo series.

2. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

@WZ9V you should update your post to include the exact settings you want posted. Possibly make a list of required settings when posting? Something like this maybe:

Type of Filament:
    Nozzle Diameter:
    Extruder Temp:
    Bed Temp:
    First Layer Settings:
    Top/Bottom Solid Layers:
    Outline Shells:
    Cooling/Fan Speeds:
    Print Speed:
    Underspeeds:
    Retraction:
    etc....

Or screenshots? Or upload your FFF file? Just a thought, otherwise could receive incomplete data.

3. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I was thinking people could upload their working FFF files but so far nobody has.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have in the past... did you search for them?

one here:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/got-simplify3d.3310/page-2#post-31702

another here:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...n-same-spot-every-time.6028/page-3#post-51207

The simplify3d thread has a number of them in it already from various people.
    Attached more that have been posted before. My nozzle sizes will not match most folks.

You need to create your own and do some testing. My nozzle sizes and speeds (related to the nozzle sizes) will be completely different from yours. My temperatures will be completely different from yours (one is a volcano and the other uses a tiny detail nozzle)

Attached Files:

#4 mark tomlinson, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

One of the problems we have in 3D printing is that I would bet real money that most people do not calibrate their machines mechanically. Other than Z-Offset since we (royal collective WE) drill that into their heads for adhesion issues. If you are under-extruding because you have the default firmware installed as much as 10-15% most people here would try to make that adjustment in their slicer of choice. Most don't even know about firmware or extruder calibrations or setting up their machines to be as accurate as possible. It becomes an exercise in futility to 'make' those settings work, especially if the sharer has not calibrated their entire machine.

Another example, since I use Marlin 1.1.0 on my printer and have set it up for MESH I do not use a Z-Offset (M565 is not even included in auto-leveling in 1.1.0) so I do not have it in my startup scripts. @mark tomlinson routinely uses a 0.6 mm nozzle so his need adjusting as well for the lot in multiple areas. Another thing, even when I used automatic bed leveling I never used Z-Offset as a means to adhere better, the actual intent of Z-Offset is to get the first layer to the correct height and then you use a first layer multiplier to get the proper amount of extrusion to achieve your desired adhesion level. Just one more variable that most people don't use or even understand.

There are a few more universal settings that can be suggested which might include most, but not all of what @Ryan TeGantvoort has suggested. There might be one or two I might add to his list, if I could give it some thought, but I would stop shot of supplying an FFF file with all the settings.

I truly understand what you are trying to do, but do not see how to make is a practical resource with so many variables. With all due respect to @mark tomlinson, who I have the deepest respect for, I cannot use any of his profiles as there are so many changes I have to make that it is simply easier to do all the work myself.

#5 WheresWaldo, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016