1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3D profile for Robo R2

Discussion in 'Software' started by Charles Billette, Jun 2, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Don Anderson did you check the R1 software subforum, I think R1 profiles have been posted many times already.

2. Don Anderson

Don Anderson New Member

Thanks for the tip. Didn't cross my mind to look there. Will do. Thanks again

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So I have been playing a lot with profiles in S3D and there are just, in my opinion, some settings that are just associated incorrectly. This has led me to separate all the materials into their own profiles rather than having a single RoboR2 profile. Some things that I think should be attached to material rather than global are things like:
    • All Filament Properties
    • Horizontal size compensation
    • Speeds can be vastly different between material choices
    • Retraction (although I can live with this as is)
    First layer Settings need to be attached to Print Quality just like Layer Settings already are.

This post was just my observations.

#64 WheresWaldo, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have always run different profiles for different materials.
    See the ones I have posted elsewhere in the forums for folks to look at.

It does make more sense to do it that way.

I also think they make juggling profiles a bit clunkier than it should be (a UI usability issue to me).

#65 mark tomlinson, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  6. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Yeah, I also think it is a bit too complicated - more than it should be. @WheresWaldo are you going to suggest a place for us to share these observations or even the FFF files ?
    I think the PLA works out of the gate, and I’m now going to look through my notes for what I did for ABS and PETG. I remember that PETG had some retraction changes and not just temp for hotend and plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If this forum had a file section that would be easy to do, right now I think it is a bit hard sharing especially as things change over time.

8. TransBat

TransBat Member

Just wanted to chime in that after reading various posts regarding slicer software (outside of Robo's old version of Cura), I took the plunge, and purchased Simplify3D. I definitely don't regret it, the stock profile Simplify3D provides for the R2 (and C2) yielded better much results than Robo's Cura for me. Must admit, while the price for Simplify3D was initially hard to justify, I can see why many believe in its abilities. I've gone ahead and made distinct profiles for the couple other brands of PLA I have around - as others have stated, the UI not separating temperatures and a few other key settings seems a bit odd.

And a big thank you/shoutout to @Ed Ferguson for posting his R2 profile - his tweaks and some adjustments for my eSun PLA Pro/+ filament have produced the best results I've ever had on my R2 (especially once I got my bed leveled again and tweaked the z-offset after some frustrations from the Robo 2.0 update).

Bemster likes this.
  9. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

One of the really nice things about S3D (and I don't know whether or not Cura can do this because it annoys me too much to find out) is that I can put six copies of something on the virtual print bed and create/assign a different profile for each one. The profiles can even differ in layer thickness from one to the other, and it handles it properly. This was invaluable in figuring out where the zits were coming from.

Ed Ferguson and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can even assign multiple profiles for each one or some for multiples, some for not... :)

11. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Glad Simplify3D is working for you TransBat. Yeah - in relation to the cost of the printer, Simplify3D is not expensive. IMHO using a free slicer with the R2 is like putting cheap gas in a high HP engine. It may run, but you're not getting the most out of it :)

TransBat and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. Bemster

Bemster New Member

Do you have that post link?

13. TransBat

TransBat Member

14. Simon Cousins

Simon Cousins New Member

Just want to thank all posters for this invaluable thread (regardless it came to an end almost exactly two years ago. I've had my R2 for almost two weeks and I've been running a range of test prints daily. I agree with Ed that the $150 for S3D is money well spent, over the free Cura included with the printer. I'm still working out bugs using a custom test object I've created and am printing with each of the ~12 filaments I have here. Most issues for me have been stringing. If I crack these dozen nuts I'll post S3D profiles for each of the branded filaments I solve. Simon.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Excellent :) Start with retraction and temperature since those are the typical low-hanging-fruit for stringing.

Simon Cousins likes this.
  16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

A word that people forget about stringing, for nearly all filaments EXCEPT PETG a bit less heat will reduce stringing, along with appropriate retraction settings. For PETG you need to extrude on the higher end of the range top minimize stringing (PETG likes to stick to itself), along with good retraction settings.

Simon Cousins likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yup, PETG and some flavors of nylon will string cold :) Excellent point.

supercazzola and Simon Cousins like this.