1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3d

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Rygg, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Yay. I've been waiting for some of these changes and fixes. Can't wait to use the new version. Hopefully they snuck in honeycomb infill as well.

2 people like this.
  2. Galaxius

Downloaded. Will install later. So excited.

#162 Galaxius, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
  3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Man it's about time they stepped up their dual extrusion support.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm trying to configure my new profile and whenever I select the profile Robo3D R1 I get these error messages:

Unable to import FFF settings from selected location.

Unable to auto-configure material from selected profile

Unable to auto-configure quality from selected profile

Unable to auto-configure material from selected profile

Unable to auto-configure quality from selected profile

Anyone come across this?

5. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

By chance have you tried the file I posted a few weeks back and tried loading that fff

6. Galaxius

No idea sorry Mike. I created my profile from scratch since there wasn't a default Robo profile when I got S3D.

7. deeph

deeph Member

Actually yes, my bed looks like a bit not leveled now (noticed when the first layer printed). The left bed lower than right bed, resulting the right parts squeeze more than left. Is there a way to level the bed?

8. robert sanchez

Here is the fff file simplify3d sent me, it has the autolevel in it.

Also, I would recomend adding in the command G1 Z5 F5000 to the end of the Starting G-Code tab under the scripts tab as seen in the picture below. This would raise the nozzle, then from there the next steps would be to rapid move to the start point, then it will lower down to start the print. This will keep it from draggin across your taped bed.

You should also change the ending gcode to have it pan to the side when it is done, the code I believe is in this thread on a prior posting.

I don't have my computer with me, else I would generate a new fff file with it all.

Attached Files:

9. Joey

Joey New Member

The newest 2.2 version has a choice now for the Robo 3D for auto-leveler or not, so you really shouldn't have to customize anything. For what Mike Kelly was experiencing, with the errors coming up, I think going to Help-->Reset All Settings and then restarting the program should remedy that.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. robert sanchez

Double check the baud rate, when you do load it. I did not reset all, I just loaded my old fff file but the baud rate was set to a lower wrong value. Once I changed it, everything started up and I've run about 5 parts, 5" tall about 6hr runs and it's been doing great.

11. deeph

deeph Member

I have done reset all settings. But looking in the script, does M565 can't be executed on R3D R1? I used G1 instead in previous version though.

12. Joey

Joey New Member

M565 Z-1 is a command to set the "probe" for auto-leveling down 1 mm mathematically. Setting a M565 doesn't physically move your printer, but sets it up for the auto-leveling script. However, there are also Robo users who prefer using M565 Z0, which is the equivelent of not having that line, so you can delete it if you don't want it.

G1 is a movement command though, Simplify3D generates those after the Starting G-Code

#172 Joey, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This did it. Do you happen to work for Simplify3D? Great support, wasn't expecting any response on a sunday, but got one within an hour.

2 people like this.
  14. cosber

cosber Active Member

I had finally gotten Simplify to give me a good 1st layer but now all of a sudden its not. I'm a little confused about the offset, so pardon my probably dumb questions. The default setting that you always see has: M565 Z-1.

1. Is the Z-1 a negative number 1 which means it's 1mm closer to the bed? To raise it, I'd use Z1, correct?
    2. I don't have a picture but I'm sure you've all seen it. My first layer looks like a row of beads. Does this mean the head is too close?

I'm asking this because when I experiment with different numbers, it doesn't seem to do anything. I think I may not have put the offset number next to the Z when trying to raise the head. I just downloaded and configured the 2.2 version and will play more tomorrow. I just want to make sure I'm understanding all this. I'm getting excellent layers using MatterControl but one particular piece I'm trying to print (Olaf from Frozen) keeps messing up the upper lip of the open mouth I think it needs supports but MC isn't putting any in the mouth. Simplify does put them in so I want to give it a try.

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1) M565 command measures the distance from the nozzle to the probe. Typical design says the probe must be past the nozzles in order to work, otherwise the nozzles would hit the bed.

Since we use the nozzles, we actually are measuring the distance between when the nozzles touch the glass and when the switch unseats. This is why it's negative, since it's behind the nozzle.

Going more negative will push you further from the bed.

2) Usually a row of beads is under extrusion. Make sure your hobb is clean.

16. cosber

cosber Active Member

So a negative number actually means raising the hot end? The reason I asked is I set the number to 0 and it still didn't change anything.
    As far as under extrusion, I get a good layer with MatterControl so I'll assume the hobb isn't the problem. I used the Robo settings when configuring Simplify3D so I would think any settings for the extrusion would be at the normal rate. I'll check when I get home.

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

MC may be applying its own auto-leveling adjustments. With it you have the option of its own or the firmware version.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Make sure you're running the latest version of mattercontrol with the autoleveling thing disabled

19. cosber

cosber Active Member

I changed the Z offset in Simplify to -1mm and it raised way above the bed. I then put it at +.5mm and got a great first layer. I used the z axis offset option under the G-code tab, not the Start code. The Olaf head printed out beautifully. I'm assuming the supports did the trick, unless Simplify does a better job then MC. At $125 times the price, it certainly should.

20. Joey

Joey New Member

Actually I do, I do technical support for Simplify3D. If you email Support@Simplify3D.com with any questions, there's a good chance I'll be responding to your ticket!

However, as a RoBo 3D owner, I also like to visit these forums as well.