1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify3D 1st layer issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by cosber, Nov 3, 2014.

1. cosber

cosber Active Member

I have got Mattercontrol 1st layer looking like a champ, using the autoleveler. Simplify3D on the other hand is giving me fits. I can't seem to get it using the firmware method. I am consistently way too low and experimenting with offset numbers doesn't seem to make any difference. Any suggestions?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Don't have an auto-leveler, but worst case you can ask here:

http://www.simplify3d.com/contact-support/

They might can help.

Out of curiosity, are you using the firmware auto-level with MC or the matter control built-in auto-leveling?

3. cosber

cosber Active Member

I've used both, but I've been mostly successful with the built-in auto-level. Since I don't do well with the firmware on either program, obviously I'm not doing something right-I don't think I have the offset properly configured.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That sounds spot-on to me (theory to me w/o an auto-leveler to play with).
    Of the folks who have issues with it that seems to be a common thread. I assume you went through @tesseract first layer leveling course (now located here: http://www.printedsolid.com/firstlayer/

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

One thing people forget about especially when doing the offset in the gcode is that sometimes the software slicing programs actually have a z offset that unless set to zero will really screw thing up.

So make sure there are no software settings for z offset or if there are set it to zero, only when setting the offset via gcode

I personally use Gcode so I don't have to reset it all the time. My feeling is that it is more a printer settings so should be set at the printer level thus the startup gcode sequences, unlike a software parameter that is at the print level

2 people like this.
  6. cosber

cosber Active Member

Got my layers to work with Simplify and the offset set at 1mm. 1st layer is still a bit high, a little more round than it should be, but the second pass flattens it nicely and the prints look good. I hesitate to make adjustments since it's working, but someday I'll play with the offset. I've got another problem now though but I want to explore a little before asking for help.