1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Simplify3D Error "Firmware unresponsive"

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by drandolph, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drandolph

drandolph Member

So I've been having problems lately with MatterControl and decided to go all in with Simplify3D and I am just now noticing in the g-code terminal that while it prints I get a ton of "WARNING: Firmware unresponsive. Attempting to force continue..." It continues to print but I was wondering if this is common or a problem and if there is a fix?

2. Wikid

Wikid Member

I just started getting this issue today using Simplify also, not sure what is causing but, after awhile the print head just ran off in X till it hit the limit switch then went back to the print area and froze. Doing some testing now.

I did find this
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...attempting-to-force-continue.4919/#post-43332

It could be a USB issue my problem is that when it does it the printer is printing the first thick layer of a Raft. I can print without the Raft no problem

Wikid

#2 Wikid, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It appears to be an actual USB communication failure as best I can tell.

4. Wikid

Wikid Member

is it best to print from the SD card? I don't have a controller on my robo so I do have any way to view its progress unless Simplify will let you monitor SD printing

Wikid

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It will monitor it, at least to a certain extent. It can't give you all of the same data.

I started using the SD card that came with the Robo and then added a RepRap Discount LCD (10 whole dollars) and use it to monitor the print via SD card now. There are better LCD displays out there if you decide to go that route.

You an try adding a powered hub or at least switching USB ports first and see if that helps.

6. Ivin Baker

Ivin Baker New Member

I was getting the firmware unresponsive all the time, especially with large models. Switched to always running it from the SD card and it hasn't happened since.

7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

LCD should be standard equipment. As well a "large" size SD reader. The miros are a pain to begin with, never mind the placement of the card reader on the robo.

regardless of communication errors, if you're printing from SD and turn off simplify, it will shut down the printer. If you hit disconnect, it will shut down your printer. Only way to use S3D with your printer and an SD is to hot unplug the USB or leave it connected the whole time.

Still interested in what exactly is failing with the USB communication on these things.

8. Wikid

Wikid Member

Yea I do remember reading that closing simplify would stop the print with the SD. I would like to get a LCD but am avoiding spending money atm due to a lack of employment. So right now im just trying to high quality prints and learn what works best.

How much memory do the controllers have, wonder if it overloads the buffer?

Wikid

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

You mean the arduino board? They don't cache much at all. They are fed as they echo complete, from what I understand.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have gotten it to work without doing that, but generally speaking I always leave a computer attached anyway.
    It was a bit esoteric to make it work without touching the cable, the approach of just yanking the USB cable was way more straight forward. I have opened a request with them to address this.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The comm buffer on the Arduino USB connection is rather small. So, not much can be 'buffered'.
    The PC or other computer driving it has a much larger buffer. for the USB channel than the Arduino does, but since the program sending the GCode is looking for replies (and very specific ones in most cases) the reality is like what Ben R. says... it effectively processes one command at a time. It is serial communications/handshaking in the end.

12. Pierre-Luc

Pierre-Luc New Member

I had the same problem in simplify3D. Just went in tools / firmware configuration / communication tab and change communication timeout to 20s. Raft on big part can take a long time to print in between each command sent.

Solved the problem for me. Hope it helps

drandolph and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I just slice the part with S3D then save it to SD card. Insert SD card into LCD. Then I start up Repetier and connect to printer. Then I start the print from LCD screen. I can then monitor the print in Repetier. I can stop it with repetier if needed or close repetier all together while the print is still going without any issues.

14. drandolph

drandolph Member

Pierre-Luc's solution worked for me as well. Also running it from SD worked too.

15. JoshYourITGuy

JoshYourITGuy Active Member

THANK YOU! My wife had a multi-part print that kept failing partway through making the raft. Could not figure it out, stumbled on this post, and set the timeout to be longer, BAM works!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.