1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

slicer support question

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JWW, Jan 14, 2022.

1. JWW

JWW Member

I'm trying to design a stage fixture for a bullet comparison forensic microscope. I sure would appreciate a suggestion on what support method I should use on this simple part. I've rarely used supports, so I'm clueless. I'll be printing in PLA using Simplify3D. The TOP of the groove in the orange model is my concern. I need the slot as smooth as possible.

Thanks in advance ...

Attached Files:

2. fred3d

fred3d Member

Have you considered to print this with the slot upwards and supports under the arch? It will change the layer lines but for your intended purpose, I don't think the strength difference will matter. You'll get aliasing from the horizontal layers, but could minimize that with 0.100 mm layers.

#2 fred3d, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Wesley Knapp likes this.
  3. JWW

JWW Member

No, I haven't considered that. It needs to be smooth on both sides.

4. fred3d

fred3d Member

As smooth as possible may be a compromise between support bumps and impossible printing. Consider also to take a shot at slicing it in PrusaSlicer, as the support algorithms for that slicer seem to be cleaner than S3D, which I use as well.

5. JWW

JWW Member

... thanks for the input. I'll rethink the design.

6. fred3d

fred3d Member

I thought of something else that might be helpful to your design. Angus (can't remember his YouTube channel!) suggested to add in non-supports that serve the purpose. In the case of the part laying on its side, if your skills permit, consider a single wall thickness truncated cone that extends from the outer edge of the upper lip just clearing the lower one and ending on the build plate. It might be necessary to have two walls if your printer clutches at a single wall, but it's sort of like vase mode and by being curved, provides its own stability.

This would turn the upper overhang into a bridge and probably give the best results. It would have to be broken or cut away, leaving a minor flaw to be post-processed.

7. fred3d

fred3d Member

Obviously not to scale, but the attached image shows the bridging option if you add a skirt-type to the model.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You may be surprised with supports -- Simplify is really good at generating supports that are smoothly and cleanly removable.
    If your print settings are happy and you are getting otherwise good layers (and bridging -- make sure it bridges well with those settings) you will find the supports are not going to leave much of a mark.