1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Slicr3 Settings or Cura 2.7 settings?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Michael Walker, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Michael Walker

Anyone know what the settings are if I switch out to Slicr3 or Cura 2.7 no one seems to like Matter Control here and simplify 3d is a little pricey for me for now, and it seems to be a toss up between the 3..

Plus you just cannot pick Robo3d + in Slicr3 and or Cura, so i have to figure out what to put in I guess..

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The basic stuff is just sizing, you should be able to copy and paste the startup scrip from one to the other with the exception of application specific substitution variables. For example MatterControl uses [temperature] and [bed_temperature] in the custom g-code which it then substitues at slicing time for the profile values. Simplify3D uses [extruder0_temperature] and [bed0_temperature] for the same purpose, Cura uses {material_print_temperature} and {material_bed_temperature}, Slic3r uses [first_layer_temperature] and [first_layer_bed_temperature].

Please note that Slic3r and Cura will insert these automagically if you do not include them in the custom code, and will pull the information from the filament profile.

The other important features are the build volume, in order to avoid any issues you should use the following as maximum numbers:

X Axis 220
    Y Axis 236
    Z Axis 230​

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. Michael Walker

Thank you for that ... I’m learning but fast lol, happy so far amazing stuff I have printed so far wow

4. Michael Walker

Do I have to add other stuff to Cura 2.7? like the PLA listed is a different size? not 1.75...is there a profile i can load and somehow save?

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am not a Cura user but I think you can just edit the existing profiles from 3.0 mm to 1.75 mm

6. Michael Walker

What do you use?

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

S3D, but I am not on the S3D bandwagon like others here. I usually suggest that you exhaust all possibilities working with free slicers before spending real money on S3D. I personally think S3D is overpriced by $100.

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

S3d user for years and yes anymore it isn't much more advanced than well tuned cura or slic3r

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you need the features it offers you are not easily getting there with another one, but ... seldom is that the case.

Geof likes this.
  10. Michael Walker

I have the 2.5 Cura from the Robo3D site, however it only lists the R1 and not the R1+ so I think it is missing auto leveling, anyone know how to get the R1+ profile? or is there GCode I need to add a line to in the machine settings or something?

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The R1 has autolevel. It would show in your start up script a G29 after the G28

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and don't forget to add the M565 in there as well (between the G28 and the G29)

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

correct! Start up script should show :

G28 ; home all axis
    M565 Z-1.0; set offset for autolevel
    G29; run auto level

the other stuff can be removed and that inserted. The Z -1.0 will need adjusted. Run test print, if the first layer is to far away try -.9, to close -1.1 and keep adjusting like so until you get your perfect first layer :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. Michael Walker

Ok so what would be the whole list to put in for sure then? I’m not sure where to start with that adjustment I guess lol wasn’t the default like .9 ?

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

default is -1.0 :D

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  17. Michael Walker

What about the end code?

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You only need something there when you want the printer to do something specific after the print finishes.

Geof likes this.
  19. Michael Walker

You cannot print direct from Cura or slicr3 right? But you can from siimplifi3d?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

With the R1 series you should be able to directly print from pretty much any of the slicers.

I haven't used anything other than Simplify in a while so perhaps things have changed that I am unaware of.