1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Smart Controller 12864 LCD display skewed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by spankurmonkey, Dec 26, 2016.

1. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

I have Robo 3D R1 Plus and installed the Smart controller 12864 LCD.. it works but the display is skewed and I am not sure how to resolve it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

This should be in troubleshooting, but
    Did you select the correct Full Graphics LCD in the Marlin firmware and recompile and upload it to your printer?\
    Did you unselect all other LCD controllers?​

3. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

Well I had someone send me a zip file called ROBO3D_LEADSCREW_V1.zip and in that file I did an edit of the Configuration file and uncommented the controller in these lines:

// ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library folder: u8glib
    #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

and I commented out

// The RepRapDiscount Smart Controller (white PCB)
    // RepRapDiscount_Smart_Controller
    //#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER //robo

and then I installed the "U8glib" library ---

In order to compile I had to edit several lines of code in various files changing

edit SdBaseFile.h , change all fpos_t to filepos_t (there isnt many)
    also edit SdBaseFile.cpp and change all fpos_t to filepos_t

I then did the edit so the direction of the control knob would work clock wise and then I did the edit so I could precisely turn the dial in increments of 1 "step change"

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

just an fyi, I moved the thread to trouble shooting

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Can you tell us where you got this controller and a better picture of the entire controller front and back?

6. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

I got it on Amazon... I should say the screen is not always skewed.... I am wondering if I have the Robo (connected via usb) and the screen on at the same time if that may be the issue.

[​IMG]

7. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

I noticed today that the movement for Z is not an option either.. not sure why.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

That is similar to all the inexpensive Chinese controllers out there. I have a similar one and it works about 99% of the time. When it doesn't I just restart my Robo (including pulling the USB cable). Does doing that fix the problem?

9. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

I think so, just need to test it a few more times... but the z movement is not there even after i power cycle even with out the usb connected.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Common misunderstanding of Marlin firmware. You cannot move Z axis unless you select a movement measurement of 1 mm or less. It simply will not allow any movement larger than that and eliminates the menu choice.

11. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

OK I tried the Z thing and yes it appeared if I chose 1mm

While I think the LCD thing is solved if I unplug the usb cable from my PC ... my question is about Octoprint... can it be used in conjunction with these Smart LCDs?

I have on the way a XXL LCD as I really don't care for the one I got from Amazon.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Well I use mine and I use OctoPrint. They can work at the same time but they don't work together. OctoPrint is basically a computer running a specific program all the time connected to your printer via USB. The LCD controller (any) uses a direct interface to the printer guts and does not know or care that OctoPrint is connected at all.

13. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

What's the pros / cons of Octoprint compared to the LCD... can you give me a real world example of why when you use one or the other, etc?

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

octoprint can be used to control or monitor the machine while you are away. LCD requires you to be there (control panel). I'm not much of an octoprint guy but for example, my large format printer has a lcd controller that i use to start a print, being large it will run for over 24 hours, so with octoprint I can stop the machine from work if the printer has an issue while I'm not there.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Also OctoPrint has an interface to a USB camera that will capture motion-jpeg sequences that can be played back at normal speeds to show a time-lapse of the print being done. In addition if properly configured through you home firewall, you could access the optional camera from any web enabled device to actually see your print in progress. A lot of people like that (or at least the idea of that).

Geof likes this.