1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Software to make walls for RR modeling?

Discussion in 'Software' started by arealgijoe, May 30, 2015.

1. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

You can try OnShape. Similar to solidworks in function, but free.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  2. arealgijoe

arealgijoe New Member

What I want to is be able to make like red brick walls then make windows in white plastic, If I can get a few different windows, then mix and match, same for doors etc. More like making my own building kits using 3D printing to make an inventory of parts to build with.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Some 2D CAD programs have component libraries already made and some manufacturers have their building materials available as CAD drawings (some 2D, some 3D) with importing and proper scaling the parts could be made in 1:160 (N) scale (although N scale does have odd 1:140 to 1:160 variations). I had thought about doing this myself as a lot of construction components are available as DWG or DXF files for architects and can be imported then extruded (thickened) in the 3D CAD programs of your choice.

As an example Pella and Anderson Windows have many of their designs for windows, doors and other items available as CAD drawings. There are free libraries for masonry and brick details. Why reinvent all the work that others have already done.

4. arealgijoe

arealgijoe New Member

Thanks for the info on CAD items available.
    WHY reinvent the wheel? First I did not know about such cad drawings available, second I tend to like to do things myself, elsewise I would not bother with 3D printing.

I made my first digital 3D camera by wiring 2 (cheapo) digital point&shoot cameras together via common wired shutter. Back then there was no such thing as a3D digital camera. That was only a decade ago.

Just yesterday I finished up hacking a dual lightfield camera rig. IN this case no common wiring, just manual pressing both shutters together (no good for action shots). I made a common mount complete with tripod socket using plastic and aluminum.

Just because I am old, does not mean I don't still tinker.

The difference between a 4yr old, a 14yr old and 40yr old male?
    The PRICE of their TOYs.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

No offense meant by my last comment. :) I too like to slap things together that no one has slapped together before, to make something new.

I just know that when you are starting out it is difficult enough to get basic stuff out, so use the pre-made libraries when you can until you get a handle on designing more complex and detailed shapes. And it's more than windows and doors, for instance McMaster-Carr has a significant portion of their catalog available as 2D and 3D files. Parker-Hannifin (Hydraulic and Pneumatic components), Alcoa, Fastenal, Hilti are just a few manufacturers that provide free model files (some you have to register with them). There is a huge amount of resources for Building Information Modeling (BIM) out there. I would start looking through some of the stuff already there and then when abilities match imagination tackle the same components on my own. Just a suggestion.