1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solidworks?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Harry, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey All. Was wondering if any of you had solidworks. Where did you buy it, and how much did it cost you? What package do you recommend me getting, and why? Thanks

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Harry, the base package is about $4k without a subscription. The company sets the prices and will put you in touch with your local distributor for support. They offer additional higher level packages, but the base is going to do anything you need for 3D printing. You can get it for quite a lot less if you are a student, but the student version is a subscription that expires when you are no longer a student. If you're a student who did what I did and get their bachelors and then spent a number of years after that working on a masters part time, then the student edition will be an awesome bargain.

I've posted this elsewhere, but I've used solidworks at work since about 2006 and used Pro/E prior to that. When it came time for me to spend the $$ for my own package, I decided to go with Alibre Pro (now called Geomagic... hope that doesn't stick). Its user interface is similar to SolidWorks and it has many of the same capabilities. Every now and then, I run into something that I have trouble with. They have a personal version that is only ~$200. I bought the professional license for $800 since I also offer design services and need more drafting and file conversion capabilities than the personal version offers.

3. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

What are the main differences and advantages of getting the Pro version, than the hobby version? Thanks again Printed. And do they offer mac support?

4. Printed Solid

Staff Member

You'd have to double check their website to see the differences now. They might have changed things as part of the renaming.
    When I bought, the reasons I can recall going to the pro were that it could handle more file formats and it could create section views in drawings.

5. vertigodragon

vertigodragon New Member

iirc the student version costs $100 and has solidworks premium which includes flow analysis and the whole lot of things that you would never need to use. however it requires proof that you are a student

edit: first link i found http://www.creationengine.com/html/p.lasso?p=18467 1 year license $100

6. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Right, and you don't get to keep it after you graduate :mad:
    Odds are if you're a student looking at solidworks, you probably have access to a free license in your computer lab anyways, so the $100 is just paying for the convenience of not having to go to the lab.

vertigo, your atx case looks pretty awesome, what program do you use?

7. vertigodragon

vertigodragon New Member

..solidworks lol

8. bradnemeth

bradnemeth New Member

Thanks for the tip on "geomagic" (chuckle). I' used SW since 1997. Its a great package for professional and worth the big bucks. Hate their forced upgrade schema tho. One has to upgrade if you collaborate with suppliers running current version. EG my supplier sends me a SW parts file created in version 2013. I cant view or edit the file if Im running version 2012. I will investigate geomagic.

2 people like this.
  9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

does 2012 have a special file format. I have 2013 and could possibly convert it to something you have

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

We just bought Solidworks 2013 for the office. We got 2 seats of solidworks premium, normally $8000/seat, but we got it on a 20% discount by buying end of quarter.

Reason we went with Premium was for the toolbox and routing tools.

Also Solidworks 2013 is the first year that will allow opening future versions of Solidworks. Now 2014 and beyond should be able to open in 2013.

If you're personal, not-for-profit, use of solidworks than the student edition should cover all your bases. Assuming you can live with "STUDENT EDITION" plastered on your drawings. Standard edition would be all you'd need for 3D printing models.

11. Pro Laser

Pro Laser New Member

Just a heads up, SolidWorks 2012 will open SolidWorks 2013 files. The 2012 SolidWorks has to be the last service pack (SP5).