1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Squeaking Issues and Bed Adhesion

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Momenslythe, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

My printer makes a horrible squeaking noise when I print. This will either happen later in prints that are small such as 3DBenchy or when the head is closer to the back half of the printer. I thought maybe the nozzle is too close to the print or bed some of the time so I did the spiral test with ABS. I found it was printing in the front half fine. The back half where the squeaking is did not put out filament (sorry I didn't do a picture). I readjusted the screws in the back half and tried again but when I walked away it must have pulled the spiral off the bed and it was just dangling from the nozzle. I tried again but watched it more closely this time but it just spit out all these squiggles instead. It seems the nozzle is too far from the bed but I have not seen it extrude in a pattern like this before.

squiggle.PNG

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

I followed the White Lithium Grease lubrication instructions from the Maintenance doc http://support-site.readthedocs.io/en/latest/R2/maintenance/index.html I was able to get rid of the squeaking (mostly) by lubricating with white lithium grease I got at Home Depot. There is still some squeaking and I do not know exactly where I should put the 3-in-1 grease.

I spent a bunch of time leveling my bed and trying to get the height right. I still can't get ABS to reliably stick to the bed. I had some success getting ABS to stick to the bed with some glue stick spread on. I did the R2 test print which I stopped about half way so I could try something else but should the corners look this bad?

triangle.PNG

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

ABS is just hard, If you want an even bigger challenge try printing polycarbonate, it warps worse than ABS. There are solutions (some homebrew) that will work to keep ABS stuck to the bed. Try a slurry of left over bits of ABS in Acetone, you can brush that on the bed and then try to print on top of that slurry.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only way to be assured of a win at ABS is with a heated chamber :)
    (note: that doesn't make it "easy", still hard, but more consistent)

6. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

How do you make the slurry? I tried a slurry before but it was too white and it threw off the bed level process.

Yeah. I don't have my door either since it broke off in shipping and they still haven't sent me one.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Even the door will not make it a heated chamber :) It will help trap some heat from the bed, but not the same.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It needs to be fairly thin, so next time use more Acetone. You want to be able to brush on a very smooth thin layer. think more milk than paste.

9. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

I'm still not sure where I'm supposed to put the 3-in-1 oil. It still squeaks a little bit maybe I just missed a spot with the lithium grease.

I was able to get bed adhesion with 3D Benchy without a skirt, brim, or raft using a glue stick but the first layers are discolored and not very good. I'm going to try the slurry next.

discolorboat.PNG

10. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

I ended up trying Wolfbite by Airwolf3D I had left over from my broken Airwolf printer and that worked better than the glue but I still have a bit of weirdness on the first few layers. Airwolf3D printers are absolute trash (especially for the price) but Wolfbite seems to work pretty well. It is pretty expensive too but it lasts for a few prints I think.

Still want to try the slurry.

benchy.PNG

wolfbite.PNG

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You have your cooling fans off correct ?

12. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

I'm using the stock slicer settings from Cura for Robo. I'm not sure if that setting is on or off.