1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Stepper Motor Driver failed on Ramps Board

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Lance Weston, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I am reposting because I did something stupid. I saw Mark solved and clicked on it thinking that Mark had a solution. I now realize what Mark solved means.

On my Robo R2, my X stepper motor driver failed on the Ramps board. I see that the board has a few stepper drivers on it. I have gathered that it is possible to get a copy of the source code and recompile. I do not know where to get the source code, where to get the compiler or how to load the compiled code. I am hoping to be pointed in the right direction. It has been 15 years since I wrote code, so please treat me as some one who needs hand holding.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The only R2 firmware I'm aware of is supplied as a .hex file. You'll likely have to reach out to Robo support about getting an arduino file. Then you'll need to download Arduino (the program- free) load in your arduino file Robo supplies you with, connect to the R2 via a cable and flash the board. If the x motor driver failed on the R2 you'll need a new main board and the only way to get one is through support. It should come pre flashed.

If your looking at doing your own mainboard solution I'd speak with @WheresWaldo who at one time had contemplated doing a different main board but I dont believe he is to the point of doing it quite yet.

edit: Link to Robo's "R2 firmware" area
    https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000722572-How-to-update-R2-firmware

unsure if its still there, but there use to be a github with Robo R2 stuff in it- but I'd bet its quite old and not updated at this point.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.