1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Stepper Motor for the extruder wont spin

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Steelclawz, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Steelclawz

Steelclawz New Member

This problem began with loud grinding noise and the stepper motor spitting out bad prints. So first i made sure there wasnt any clogged filament anywhere... and tried it again, only to get the same results. So then i figured it must be the stepper motor wires cause one came loose. So i ordered the wires and replaced them and tried another print. Getting same result. So finally i figured it was the stepper motor ( the one behind the extruder, not the ones to the x, and y axis on the side of the printer) so i ordered one. I thought i had it figured out which one to buy, but when it arrived they had sent me a stepper motor for the x, and y axis. I even tried to use the new one thinking it might work, but it wont allow the little gear (cog) to connect. I need the bigger stepper motor. I also know its broken because after taking it off and attaching the little gear to it, it wont turn without a lot of force. The brand new one (although its the wrong one) spins freely by hand. So can someone tell which stepper motor (FOR THE EXTRUDER) i need to buy and where i can find it, and most importantly what is it called??

Please help!

#1 Steelclawz, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

I bought these and they're fantastic. Only problem is it only has a single flat on the motor shaft, so the stock gear won't fit. So I went on thingiverse and printed up new herringbone gears with my other printer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QEXSCE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1446842

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just calibrate the extruder when you do replace the motor and you are good.