1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Sticking to the bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Hellsbells17, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Hellsbells17

Hellsbells17 Member

I have having issues getting parts to stick to the heated bed on my R2. I have used glue sticks which works part of the time. I just tried Buildtak sheets which worked but too well were I was not able to get the part off the sheet. What is everybody else using that works keeping in mind I am still on the version 1 heated bed.

2. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

I have the V2 bed with BuildTak. As you've found, PLA sticks to that. Sometimes, it seems like the entire machine will break before I can get my print loose.

Strategies, none entirely satisfying

1) BuildTak spatula, which works better than a putty knife and won't gouge the bed
    2) Glue stick, because PLA sticks to it less than the buildtak surface
    3) Rafts. The bog standard Simplify3D raft comes apart easily, which makes it easier to remove, albeit with partial or complete delamination of the first layer. But at least it all comes up. And, it doesn't matter if you destroy the raft getting it off the bed, whereas I've often ruined part of a non-rafted print doing the same. Of course, the surface of the first layer of a rafted print isn't as nice as if it was stuck directly to the bed

3. Hellsbells17

Hellsbells17 Member

Sorry I should have stated in my original posting that the issue was with ABS material. I was just told today that Robo is replacing my V1 with the V2 because since I having issues with it. I am considering getting the BuildTak Flexplate and will look into getting a BuildTak spatula.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Hair spray will also work as a release agent.
    Josef Prusa suggest an anti-dust/anti-static window cleaner, he says the anti-static chemicals work as a release agent on their beds.

5. Hellsbells17

Hellsbells17 Member

Spray the hair spray on the finished part?

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Spray the hairspray on the bed before printing. And not just any hairspray, the kind your grandma used in the 50's. White Rain, Aqua Net, etc. not the eco friendly stuff people use today.