1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

stl File Created by Autodesk Inventor

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gary Fellows, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Gary Fellows

Gary Fellows New Member

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and only got my first 3D printer, a Robo R2 a little over 1 week ago.

Would printing files that have been created by Inventor cause any issues when printing?

I have attempted 4 prints, 2 attempts over 2 of my models, however, all failed between 70-75%.

Yet when l have printed the 'gnome' and a 'test cube' from other sources, namely Robo USB and Thingiverse, both prints were 100% successful. Therefore, l got to thinking that could it be down to the stl output from Inventor causing an issue? Not having previous experience, l would be surprised if stl output from Inventor would be the cause of the issue.

All of my failed model print attempts where approximately X: 60mm x Y: 40mm x Z: 5mm. Between 70-75%, l hear 'clicking' from the feed and therefore the prints failed everytime.

The material is ColorFabb, Co-Polyester, extruder 220C, Bed 60C, however, l have tried 240C / 80C.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, you can easily CAD up models that have internal issues which will cause them to fail. A single misplaced vector is enough.
    Run your STL file through a repair tool like netfab or microsoft azure (which is a free online one) to see if it correct anything.

Other than that have you tried printing a test model that is tall enough to reach that same physical height? A temperature test tower from thingiverse might do it (but anything tall enough will work -- 5mm is not very tall). That way you can rule out mechanical issues with the printer.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What you are describing sounds like a feed failure, but we need more specifics on the filament to offer advice there. There are a lot of CoPolyester filaments out there :)

4. Gary Fellows

Gary Fellows New Member

Mark,

Many thanks for the reply.

I did try from Thingiverse a 'test cube', a solid 20mm cube, which printed perfectly.

This perfect print and another of the supplied Robo 'gnome', made me think that it could be something to do with the Inventor generated stl files.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Totally possible. Run them through something to test them.

https://tools3d.azurewebsites.net

It is very easy to have a modelling error that will not generate a valid STL file (an STL is just the surface of the model).

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are tutorials out there that discuss how to do 3D modeling for 3D printing.
    You might want to check out some of those as well, but run it through a repair service first and see if it fixes it for you.

Geof likes this.
  7. Gary Fellows

Gary Fellows New Member

Here below are the Inventor stl options.

upload_2017-10-11_15-24-21.png

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

<shrug>
    Looks OK on the surface. Sorry, but I don't use Inventor.
    If it passes the verification/repair then it is likely fine.
    The fact that it starts to print means it is reading the STL.
    A minor modeling error can cause issues though which is why the repair is a good idea.

Geof likes this.
  9. Gary Fellows

Gary Fellows New Member

Mark,

I am running my 2 failed models through Azure, as suggested by yourself and shall give them another go tomorrow.

I shall let you know if that does the job.

I knew 3D printing could be problematic and l know l have only just started my journey, however, it is painful already.

I shall keep you posted.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Gary Fellows vector cad into 3DP was problematic for me. I picked up Fusion 360 (free for hobbyists) and havent looked back to Illustrator. Might be worth a shot?

Edit: Still autodesk so still have all the tutorials and help when issues are ran into.

Gary Fellows and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. Gary Fellows

Gary Fellows New Member

Tried to view the download from https://tools3d.azurewebsites.net/, however, when l loaded the file into Cura nothing was observable or too large. I attempted to scale down the model within Cura, but yet nothing. The downloaded netfabb repaired file, certainly opened fine within Cura. I shall test these netfabb repaired prints tomorrow.

If you have any thoughts why the download via https://tools3d.azurewebsites.net/ did not prove observable within Cura, l would like to know.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe they export as a odd file. They need to be converted back to .stl.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, they use a more generic format (or at least one that Microsoft would like to see become generic). They expect you to use Microsoft 3D Builder

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats what I use to transfer from the .3mf to .stl :D (I think?) I normally use netfabb free edition on my desktop unless it cant fix it, then azure.