1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved stl file size

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by roi barak, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roi barak

roi barak New Member

hi,
    I would like to know what is the max. size of stl (Mb) that is suitable for the ROBO r1+ printer?
    thank you,
    roi

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

that would depend on what your slicing program can handle :D. I havent used anything but simplify 3d for years with my Robo units, but I do remember matter control would freak out if the file was large. Other programs dont. If you run into issues with that (assuming you are using matter control) may want to try out the other free programs (like Cura). I cant be much help there as I bought simplify years ago so haven't had the ... pleasure?... of dealing with the others recently.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

To summarize :)

There is no limit on the size of the STL as far as the printer is concerned. It doesn't consume STL files, but rather GCode.
    The slicer that generates the GCode will likely have a maximum size, but it is hard to say how that will related exactly to the size of the STL. It is really related to the complexity of the MODEL the STL represents. A more complex model has more vectors and will slice to larger size. Whatever slicer you use will have some documentation around this (although it might not be as exact as you seem to be looking for).

edit: Since the printer actually consumes the GCode line-by-line (it is essentially interpreted) each line being a command for it to execute, there is no real limit on the size of the GCode that the printer can consume. There are practical limits :) The GCode must be stored somewhere, like your PC if you are printing with a host program or the SD card on the printer if you are using that.

#3 mark tomlinson, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.