1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Strangely indented perimiter issues.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by WindDrake, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindDrake

WindDrake New Member

Easiest way to show this is pictures, so here's a Benchy and an accuracy test object.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, at the starting angle point, there is a noticeable indent where the perimeters should be crossing over themselves.

This problem started with Mattercontrol 1.6.2, it did not do this before.

I reverted to Mattercontrol 1.6.1, and it's still doing it.

My Printer is an R1+, modified extruder and parts fan, and a RRD Graphical LCD controller, running Marlin R8. This is all in Makergeeks PLA @ 230C, 50C bed, all at 60mm/sec except the first layer (30%). 30% infill (hex), 45deg starting angle, 3 perimeters, 5 top and bottom layers with 106% overlap, 0.2mm layer heights.

I've tightened the Y belt, installed belt tensioners on the X-Belt to take up slack, and generally have gone over this printer with a fine tooth comb looking for snags or hangups - nada, not a thing, and I can't find any incidence of this online anywhere. :(

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, try another slicer for starters. Use the smaller of the two prints as a test and try Repetier host and/or Cura at a minimum.

That is usually more software than hardware, but it can also be filament related. For example if you need to season the nozzle (PLA gets sticky otherwise).

3. WindDrake

WindDrake New Member

Here's an XY Resonance Test object.

First up is the proper seam.
    [​IMG]

Next up is the weird part.
    [​IMG]

This is supposed to be this.
    [​IMG]

This kind of feels like a stepper issue? Going to try Slic3r in a moment, still thinking this is mechanical.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Eh, color me unconvinced it is hardware.
    I am willing to conceptualize that it could be a bit of drive lash in that axis

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im thinkin slicer went silly on ya, hard to believe perfect on one side and that bad on the other if mechanical :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also check that you have randomized the start points for each layer. Otherwise the slicer will be lazy and every layer will start at the same spot and inevitably you have a small defect there that turns into a seam.

Geof likes this.
  7. WindDrake

WindDrake New Member

Might be on to something with the slice engine. Matterslice is crapping itself on these models, while they turn out mostly OK with Slic3r as the engine in Mattercontrol, if not for the massively underextruded walls. Not sure why that is. Going to try Cura next.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If your going to try different slicers, download the full thing(cura or slic3r). Mattercontrol is frankly garbage :), using the different engines may help but...its still matter control

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Worth the cost of the entry fee.

Not much more.

Geof likes this.
  10. WindDrake

WindDrake New Member

Weird thing is, I've had great luck with Mattercontrol. Printed the entire Open R/C F1 with it, tons of stuff.

Might be able to call this one closed. Switching from Slic3r engine to Matterslice seems to have fixed the issue?

Can't get a decent print out of Slic3r, keep getting underextruded walls, and honestly I'm not really that enthused about trying to get a piece of software that hasn't been updated in over a year and a half.

Long term, I need to get Cura & Repetier-Host working, or buy Simplify3D.

Thanks for the pointers, guys.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Those types of issues are why I moved to S3D.

WindDrake likes this.
  12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Slic3r, while being my favorite free slicer isn't for everyone. I find it can do everything Simplify3D can do and more but requires more tweaking. If your profile isn't exactly right you will get some anomalies that usually can be fixed with a bit of effort. Their default settings aren't exactly the best.

Not a fan of Cura and Repetier-host is just a front end still uses either CuraEngine or Slic3r to slice stuff. Simplify3D is always the last recommendation from me, first because I hate the high cost of entry, second DRM implies that S3D thinks all their customers are pirates.

WindDrake likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.