1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Substance use for the wire under the heat bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Angel C, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel C

Angel C New Member

Hey guys my name is Angel I’ve been on the forum for a lil while only to browsing for answer and idea for my Robo3d R1 not the plus. I looking to figure out what was the substance use to hold the heat bed wire to the bed? I install a GoPro camera mount and knock the wire off while installing. The issue I’m having is wire get caught between the frame when the y axis move back cause my y axis belt tensor to break a few times. I’m new to the whole 3d printing world and I’m really enjoying it. I know that I should upgrade the bed to the R1+ but until then I want to do something to the wire to prevent this from happen. Also should I just use a heat gun to heat the old gloo up and try to mount it to the side? Would appreciate some help as u guys on this forum are very informative thank in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Hoa

Hoa New Member

I used J-B Weld to clue the disc magnets to the glass bed.

Angel C likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

JBWeld is fine, any epoxy should work well too.
    As for the camera, you need to find a place to mount it so that the wires are not in the way of the bed.

Angel C likes this.
  4. Angel C

Angel C New Member

Thanks hoa and mark for the feedback, once I realize what the camera mount did. I did take it off until I figure what am i going to I have been saving to get a touchscreen and raspberry pi 3 to fully on with the octoprint.
    I was wondering has anybody’s connectors for bed fuse together? As I can’t seem to disconnect them I assume this would be a good time to go on ahead and purchase r1+ heat bed first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that can happen if they are overheating. Generally speaking connectors in-line with the bed heater are not a great idea. Even if they are rated for the correct amperage they can get loose and then over heat. If you do use connectors use a good high current connector like a Deans connector
    Deans.jpg

or Anderson Powerpole connectors (my personal favorites).

powepole.jpg

Angel C likes this.
  6. Angel C

Angel C New Member

Thanks again mark having ppl like you on this forums really help out with newbies like me to gain better Knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are welcome :)
    I have 30 amp powerpole connectors on mine and they work fine. Deans connectors are a little more common in the radio control community (powerpoles are more common in robotics). Anything like those will be fine. I would use 30 amp rated connectors and make sure they are soldered well. The bed can pull 11 amps continuous for a long period of time which is what can make things overheat with loose connections.

Angel C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.