1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Swapping SD Card

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Trevor C, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

Simple question. In upgrading the capacity of the SD card does one simply format it (fat32 I guess from a Mac) and swap them over or is there anything on the exiting on that needs to be copied over?

TC

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm assuming you mean for the Pi?

3. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

i think so. to get more storage for the print files

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

gotya. Do you have a image to burn to the new card? Typically I take a new card, use windiskimgr and burn to the card. I dont use any other steps :D

cant speak for a mac, all my PC are windows.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

On a Mac you would use something like ApplePi-Baker or if you are very Mac proficient you could follow these instructions, https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/mac.md.

The entire rPi OS, in our case all of RoboOS is located on that SD card. If you remove it and replace it with an SD card that is only formatted then you have nothing for the rPi to boot with and your printer will stop working.

I am not a Mac user but I suppose it would work something like this.
    1. Run ApplePi-Baker and mount the RoboOS card in your Mac
    2. Create a backup image of the existing card
    3. Now mount your new bigger SD in your Mac
    4. Write the backup image to the new SD card
    5. Mount the SD card in your rPi
    This will give you a working rPi but it won't have all the space used for storage. You will need to SSH into the rPi and run the command sudo raspi-config. Select the option to expand the file system and allow it to reboot at the end. Once rebooted it will use all available space to increase the size of the storage partition.

#5 WheresWaldo, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  6. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

Ok that's far too complicated for me so I will leave it as is and work with the storage i have by deleting things and disabling the time lapse on the camera.

Thanks for that though

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You just need to clone the image. On a PC Win32DiskImager will work. Save the current image and then reload/reburn it to a larger SD card (32gb max). The Pi will need you to expand the filesystem to take advantage of the new space, but you can SSH/Putty/telnet to the Raspberry pi and make that happen.

You really should do the first half of that anyway just so you HAVE a backup copy of the Raspberry Pi image... if it craps out at some point you can just reburn it yourself otherwise you are going be be down while you get Robo to send you a new SD card.

8. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

That makes sense and I will do that.
    Just out of interest on the web interface what is the "format SD card" button there for.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hmm... not sure :) Did you check this doc?

http://docs.robo3d.com/en/latest/

EDIT: I took a quick look myself but I did not see anything over there SD card related.
    It may be intended for use on machines (not the R2 or C2) with an LCD display that has an included SD card reader (but I would imagine Robo would remove/re-skin the OctoPrint to remove that in that case)

10. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

No I don't se any refernce to it. And cant find any reference easily to it in the octoprint docs. I must remember NOT to press it ...just in case.

I'm sure the roboGuys will enlighten us.

TC

11. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

That would be used if the printer control board had its own SD card reader. Not the case on the R2, but it's just one of the many features the Octoprint server supports.

Note that jsut doing the "expanding filesystem" mentioned above will probably already give you an extra 4GB on your existing card.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member