1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved TEMP FALL ERROR

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by James Slaughter, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Not a problem at all - glad you did it! Can't thank you guys enough for all of your help.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is why temperatures are only a rough ball-park guess. They vary from printer to printer and environment to environment.
    Great to have a 'ball-park' number to experiment with, but experiment you MUST if you want the best prints. :)

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Things like the little DePrime test object are ideal for that sort of testing. Complex enough to show issues, but quick to print.

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are welcome. We all started off the same way :) Once you get past your startup you can jump in here and help some other new users out!

Geof likes this.
  5. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Well - I tried an stl downloaded from thingaverse and had MatterControl Slice it, and it failed. It's also lifting off the bed, but I am sure that is just settings I'll eventually figure out. But the Temp Fell Too Fast Error is still occurring on anything except the file sliced and provided by Geof. It won' finish a print if MatterControl is doing the slicing.

I just received the new 40W heaters. I bought them from the link Mark sent, but they are longer than the originals. Actualy they are almost double the length. How do I install them? Do I slide it all the way in and flush on the one end or have leftover on each side? If that makes sense.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I center them but ive seen them installed all sorts of ways.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Does mayter control have a setting to wait for temperature to stabalize ?

8. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Toro1966 there are 4 files in that link. Do you want all sliced? or were there certain ones you wanted done?

10. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Sorry Geof - The Logo2 file should work. Could you also slice the long one?

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

hey @Toro1966 they are in the zip file. Sorry they were to large to upload

Attached Files:

12. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Wow - you sir are quick! Thank you.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your welcome

14. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Geof - Does it matter what it looks like in MatterControl? I ask because when I import the GCode you just uploaded it only looks like a couple of layers or so. It is flat - even in 3D view.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That sounds odd. Id give it a try but sounds like matter control doesnt like that one. I sliced in simplify 3d and watched the layers and it looked ok

16. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Think I meant have figured it out. At the bottom of the preview window there is a box that says generate 1/146. as I click the right arrow it adds a layer. I'm guessing there are 146 layers. Just not sure why it only defaulted to show one. Also - if I didn't click the generate 146 - would it have only printed one layer?

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Totally honest i have no idea ... i dont use matter control and when i did i dont recall having that function. Id say try to print it both ways just to see if it works :)

#97 Geof, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  18. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Geof. Printing now. We'll see how it comes out. I'm hopeful. The last file you provided printed fine. I printed it twice. Then I have to print a MatterControl Sliced stl to see if the heater fixed the Temp Fall issue.

19. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Nope - failed! Dang it. Trying it now from the SD card. The problem is that there is not rhyme or reason to the error. I thought it was a slicing issue. And it might be part of it. But this morning I printed the Batarang gcode you provided and I printed it within MatterControl, I did not import from the SD card. And I left the USB connected during the entire print. Did the same thing tonight with the holder file you sent and it failed after about an hour. Trying it now from the SD card. This print was longer than the Batarang but I am not sure that matters.

20. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Nope - failed from the SD Card as well. This is really, really strange. Since the file was provided by Geof, this means the error is not necessarily caused by MatterControl slicing the file. We decided to try one more thing. We had purchased a RepRap Discount XL LCD Controller but hadn't yet opened it. Even when you print from the SD card, MatterControl sends some commands to the printer and starts the print. I don't believe that's the issue since the prints usually don't fail until a few layers (or more) are down.

That said, we connected the controller, updated the firmware and now she's printing using an SD card and the file Geof provided, and started it off on the controller. Still having issues making it stick, but it's still printing. Will update tomorrow.