1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved TEMP FALL ERROR

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by James Slaughter, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Coulda bad NOZZLE fan - not PARTS fan - cause this error do you think?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

very unlikely, if the machine isn't under extruding or jamming I wouldn't expect a nozzle. If you have replaced the heater and thermistor with no change to the issue I'd suggest giving it a once over just to sanity check everything then replace the ramps board. I have one other person I'm helping who has done the same diagnostics you have with tempfall error and we are in that spot as well. The ramps board is typically not the issue but it appears to me you have checked everything else(multiple times). Things in the enviroment of the printer can come into play (ceiling fan, ac unit etc) if there are none of these items blowing on the printer my first thought would be to replace the ramps, they are cheap on amazon.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So here is an amazon link to a "spare parts" kit for the electronics.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuman-Printe...&qid=1468156725&sr=8-2&keywords=Ramps+1.4+kit

doing this instead of buying from Robo is much cheaper but will require you to read my thread on taking the R1+ custom ramps board out and putting in a generic ramps board. (mostly just some wiring relocation)

here is that thread if you want to give it a read

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...and-rewiring-to-make-generic-ramps-work.8356/

if this seems like to much for you send me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good work.
    As far as the heater core is concerned....either way mounting it will work.
    Given that it is so much higher wattage the mounting is not critical.

About all that is left if it fails now is electronics.

Geof likes this.
  5. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks guys but I have already replaces the full electronics board. Ramps and Arduino fromy Robo. Same issue.

6. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

I also have ensured there are no fans/ vents/ ac or anything blowing anywhere near the machine.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

well, something bad got swapped in :)
    The TEMP FALL is firmware reacting to a perceived temperature drop.
    One of the following is true:

1) the temperature actually fell (so bad heater or bad thermistor or bad wiring or bad RAMPS)
    2) the temperature reading fell, but not he actual temperature (bad thermistor or wire/connection or RAMPS)

None of these are software

8. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Well then I'm really stumped. The thermistor has been replaced twice (I Have a third I can check). The heater was replaced with 40W heater. Complete new hot end with heater and thermistor. New Ramps/Arduino boards. New wire from thermistor to ramps board.

I literally have replaced everything. Where would you suggest I go from here?

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im almost certain this is irrelevant but whats the dc power out of your power supply.

10. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

I'll check that shortly and let you guys know. It has now printed the holder file you sent me perfectly - twice - using the SD card and the smart LCD controller.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I know I've asked you to do this 100 times but are all 3 connection points good on the thermistor. It really sounds like a loose connection the way you pass and fail. There is a set screw under the heater block that holds the thermistor (should be tight) there is the quick release by the stepper motor that should be tight. Give all the wires a tug and see if any come out. Then there is the connection at the ramps board which could very well be loose. give it a tug and see if wires or the harness pops off. If any of the tug tests fail then you may have found your issue. If all those are good I'd suggest the same with the same points of contact for the heater block. If all those check ok then go for the ramps replacement.

12. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Not a problem Geof. I appreciate your patience. I have checked all of those things but will certainly do them again.

One thing on the ramps. It has already been replaced. They sent me that on Thrusday. So I've already done that to rule it out.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

And it was ramps and arduino ?

14. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Yep. Whole package from Robo.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok. So we should check the voltage from the power supply. It should be 12v. If its not there is an adjustment screw to the left of the connections. Its possible low voltage is causing it to go crazy but id think other things would be affected as well.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Toro1966 are you still using the hexagon hotend that comes with the r1+?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So, it works fine when you print from the SD card and only fails via the PC? Is that a correct statement?

18. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Hey guys - sorry for the delayed replies. Some answers:
    1 - Yes - I am still using the factory stock hot end and nozzle. It is a brand new replacement assembly from Robo.
    2 - It actually was not printing consistently from the SD card. I did get acouple of prints using files Geof had sliced for me and that I printed out using the SD card - vice the PC.

Now for the biggest whammo - last night we installed the Reprap Discount Full Graphic Display. Since installing that last night, we have had complete (not always perfect quality) but complete prints. This includes both from the SD card using the graphic display and no PC connected, as well as downloading stock .stl files from Thingaverse and having MatterControl Slice them and send them to the printer.

I am not ready to call this fixed yet until we get several more consistent prints, but my theory, assuming it is actually fixed, is that one of a couple of things happened:
    1 - There was some connection loose that was corrected while we were installing the graphic display. I have literally checked the connections 10 times underneath and pushed each one in, as well as replacing the Ramps and Arduino boards which required me to remove and replace the connectors.
    2 - Part of the graphic display installation process is to reflash the Arduino with the updated firmware. I had already tried re-updating the firmware several times, but you never know.

Again, I am still not ready to call it fixed until I get a few more prints completed. Ironically, I ordered a second one from Amazon last night. Couldn't help ity. 749 and includes 6 rolls of filament! Including wood, metallic, and scented!

#118 Toro1966, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Glutton for punishment eh? Lol. Glad to hear you've got another coming. I enjoy multiple printers :)

20. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Lol. Yep. In truth, this one is my son's. I have been trying to help him get it fixed. He started the thread but then I jumped in because I was helping him troubleshoot. He's been with me the whole way though trying all of the different things!