1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Temp shows 230C when stone cold at start up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rigmarol, May 26, 2016.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Pm on its way

2. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Today was a good day.

I happened to have the day off and asked if i could bring the printer to them. They wanted to try another thermistor and i didn't agree.

They were very accommodating, and were happy to fit me in with only a day's request. Nice folk, really.

It's about a two hour drive but well worth it. I got to meet a lot of the staff and got to see the birth place of my Robo printer.

Tech started off from the beginning with wiring, thermistor, harness and so on.

The problem persisted and otter techs got envolved. Lots of head scratching went on for a while.

They finally changed our the Ramps board and guess what? The problem was still there! Wow!

Next was the Arduino board and that finally fixed the issue.

They made some helpful adjustments and fine tuned the default Z zero and I was hook to go! Too just about an hour and Iv am happy.

The drive sucked but I was expecting that when I started.

So, bottom line, problem fixed by replacing the Arduino board. They also updated me to the latest bios as well.

Thank you very much to every one that helped me out, it was a very good learning experience.

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Very suprised an arduino caused the issue! Super glad they got you sorted. They really are a good company to work with. Thank you very much for following up with what the resolution was and im even happier to hear your up and printing again !

mark tomlinson and Rigmarol like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, that is really a outer edge condition. While the Arduino could cause anything.... it us very odd that it was the root cause here.
    Glad you got it sorted.

Geof likes this.
  5. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

A small update.

After getting back home I found I could not complete any print I started! It tested fine at the shop but we didn't let it go through a full print.
    The temp issue was cured but all my print jobs failed part way through.

As it turns out, the arduino board had a bad USB connection!!! It would eventually vibrate the USB cable enough to break it's connection and would instantly stop. I could manually induce it by gently moving the USB cable until it failed. LOL What are the odds of me getting TWO bad arduino boards! LOL I found it funny.

The guys at Robo3D felt really bad and not only sent me out another arduino board, but a roll of filament of my choice. I told them that wasn't necessary, but they insisted so I chose the black carbon fiber fulfillment and it arrived along with the new arduino in short order.

I am now back up and running very well and printing to my heart's content. I'll save the carbon fiber for later.

Now on to learning some other things like designing my own "things" and exploring the many settings and other software and so on.

Thanks guys, I'm sure if someone else has a similar issue this thread should get them on their feet a little faster.