1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Temperature error, base not heating up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Henradrie, Jan 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henradrie

Henradrie New Member

My printer stopped working while heating up.

I set the bed and extruder to heat up to the target temperature in MatterControl and when they reached a certain point (152C for the extruder and 77C for the bed) they just stopped rising. When I turned them off they still read those same values. Whenever I connect it shows those values without being turned on. Extruder gets hot enough to start smoking caked on filament but the bed doesn't start heating at all.

- First I tried Cura, same problems as MatterControl, it reads 152C from extruder and 77C from the bed.
    - Then i tried a fresh install of MatterControl, same behavior
    - I swapped out the control board for a Ramps 1.4 board thinking I had a melted MOSFET, I can move the carriage and turn fans on but the problem didn't resolve itself
    - Fresh firmware was downloaded directly from Robo and uploaded to the Mega, no change
    - I tested the bed thermoresistor and it responded to temperature changes, resistance rating was around 80kohm at room temperature
    - I was not able to get a reading on the extruder thermoresistor, but I'm also not sure if I had the right wire
    - Terminal just keeps sending M105 and printer keeps sending unchanging temperature values back

I figure that if the problem was a thermoresistor then the chances of both the bed and extruder failing at the same time are pretty remote so I ruled them out, perhaps I'm missing something? Does the failure of one thermoresistor disable all heating elements?

Are there any more steps I could do to figure out and repair the problem, I'm pretty lost.

#1 Henradrie, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You likely have an electronics problem. Either the Arduino or the RAMPS boards. If you are able to connect and upload firmware then it is more likely the RAMPS board has died. (Although you really need to make sure you uploaded the correct firmware for your specific model as well, it is easy to confuse them).

Fixing that means replacing it. Which model do you have? Be specific as they all look very similar, but they are not.

3. Henradrie

Henradrie New Member

I swapped out the original RAMPS board with a brand new one. Bought from a supplier in town, and the quality was pretty high.

I followed the guide to upload firmware to the T twice to make sure I got it.

Could it be another problem? Thermocouple in the extruder?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The extruder and bed use thermistors and yes, one of them could be failing (open circuit or short circuit) but it is unlikely they would both fail at the same time.

An open circuit will read zero (or close to zero) degrees C. A Short circuit will read a high value (usually above 350C). Yours are not even doing *quite* that if your symptoms are as you originally posted.

Replacing the RAMPS does not mean you need to upload the firmware. Only if you replace the Arduino or change something from stock do you need to reload the firmware (it is the software that runs the Arduino, the RAMPS is just an I/O shield).

If you swapped the RAMPS and are getting the exact same symptoms then it mist be a wiring harness issue -- something has gotten knocked loose or shorted. I am not really sure what to suggest because the two thermistors are not in the same location ... damaging both sections of wiring would be unlikely.

I suppose you could swap the Arduino Mega and in that case DO reupload the firmware. It is remotely possible that the Arduino is bad.

Assembled the two boards look like this with the Arduino on the bottom:

RampsAssembly - 008.jpg

#4 mark tomlinson, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  5. Henradrie

Henradrie New Member

The problem was a bad Arduino.

A friend gave me an SKR 1.3 board and it works perfectly, a bit of work to get it going though.

Now I know that when problems happen that nobody has an answer to, upgrade the board.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As long as it is price compatible -- yeah.

Not worth paying extra for like a 32-bit board when the Ardiuno/Ramps has more than enough horse power to drive it :) It is only a cartesian after all . A delta -- yea, get to a 32-bit board (like the SKR 1.3).

7. Henradrie

Henradrie New Member

Skr 1.3 board was actually cheaper. $40 for a control board vs $53 for another mega, not including ramps.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Heh, I get the Mega 2560, the RAMPS 1.4 and LCD and all of the drivers for about $40 on Amazon :)

However that is not world-wide pricing :) so you have to see what is cheapest for you.

Either way whatever works best for you since there is nothing special about the Robo electronics. It can be swapped for many different options.

9. Henradrie

Henradrie New Member

I had some bad experiences with Amazon and online ordering. Spent a lot of time fixing cheap components that barely worked. I've got a shop 2 minutes away from my work. It costs more, but when I buy from them I know it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.