1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Temperature FALL Error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KTMDirtFace, Aug 1, 2015.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I assume it means FAIL? but my LCD after aboout 2 layers on a large print keeps stopping and saying "Temperature FALL ERROR"

I have the e3d v6 recently added..but have been printing with no issues until today.. now I don't know what its problem is. I have the stud temp sensor as well.

Trying to print in PLA at 200 and 70.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Loose or defective thermistor.

TEMP FALL is correct, the temperature of the extruder fell too much during heating or operation so the firmware killed it.

Since you have the metal stud one I would suspect a bad connection rather than a bad thermistor.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  3. KTMDirtFace

i had a massive pile of PLA that ended up all over it. not sure if that could have caused an issue. connection's seem fine. I unplugged it and re-plugged and will try again.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It may be a bad connection in the harness back to the RAMPS. Mine had 2 connections in the harness in line with the thermistor. No need for that, the thermistor wire should have been long enough, but still -- bad solder joint could nail you as well.

5. KTMDirtFace

Strange yea i guess i'll have to pull the bottom off again.

its weird it makes it about 2 layers exactly and then fails. ( just failed again ). fairly large part so 2nd layer was probably 10min in.

This time I printed VIA usb and watched it.. temp dropped to 180 when it failed...i hit the Set button in simplify 3d and it started heating back up..no problem.

Edit, additionally. when I installed the E3D I did not run new wires for the temp sensor. I just plugged the White JST into the stock red JST. seemed to be the same plug just diffrent colors.

Edit2: So would it be my temperature sensor failing? or would the deal that heats it up stop heating for some reason? ( Not sure what thats called..that was the Blue wires on the E3D and I did run that down to the board myself.

Code:
    RECEIVED: ok

SENT: G1 X103.386 Y64.909 E6.6211

RECEIVED: ok

SENT: G1 X104.002 Y65.525 E6.6472

RECEIVED: Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

RECEIVED: Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

#5 KTMDirtFace, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That confirms it. Either the wiring or the thermistor.
    Since you have the metal stud thermistor I would really not want to believe that to be defective*.
    So that leaves wires...

*not saying it is impossible, but it is very unlikely. Unless the wires are shorting on it or something, but I assume it has the plastic sleeves on those.

7. KTMDirtFace

I forgot i did clip the stock wires for the stock thermistor and soldered a JST on there. and shrink wrapped it..so that I wouldnt have to run new wiring all the way down.

It looks totally fine though I solder all the time..so not sure whats up. once it comes out under the case i'm not sure which wires it is or where it plugsinto the ramps without taking a ton of things apart ( wire chain mod and whatnot. )

Where would these inline connectors be that you speak of? where you said you had 2.

They aren't in my wire chain..so unless they are under the case somewhere ( I havn't seen them ).. im not sure.

Weird thing is its been working fine..for awhile..just stopped working right the other day.

#7 KTMDirtFace, Aug 2, 2015
  8. KTMDirtFace

Ok more testing..

This is really weird.

It works perfectly fine stays at 199-200 for the first layer.

Pretty much the instant it hits the second layer it drops to 194-195..and eventually drops enough to throw that FALL error. What the heck?

I just paused it in simplify3d at 194 and tried to let it come back up to temp and it takes forever.to heat back up and wont actually heat up anymore and starts loosing temp very slowly..unless i kill the print and restart then its fine.

EDIT: It got down to 192 and was still dropping so I hit stop button in sipmlfy3d and then hit the "Set" button in jog controls which i have set to 200.. and it goes back to 200 with no problem.

Any ideas?

EDIT Again: I just tried to print a very small print instead of the huge one.. to rule out that the temp was failing after a certain amount of time. As soon as I get to layer 2 on my small print's second layer the temp starts dropping and failing! ( it dropped from 200 to 192 as soon as it hit the second layer and seems to be staying at 192 now ). Again as soon as I hit the stop button and then the "Set button" in simplify3d the temp jumps back up to 200.

I'm thinking this is a simplify3d problem now.. I just Upgraded to the latest version the other day I think thats when the problems started.

#8 KTMDirtFace, Aug 2, 2015
  9. KTMDirtFace

Sorry for so many posts but I'm confused.

Simplify 3d Changed a TON of stuff in 3.0.. i deleted all my profiles and after googling figured out where they put the Robo3d profile ( its totally changed ).

I'm printing Tilt-10.STL from here as a test http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:511668/#files because its small.

Im printing at 200 in pla. after the first layer it IMMEDIADLY drops to about 192.. and never climbs back up again. ( I lied after 5-6 layers its back up to 197 ...)

I'm about to install mattercrapcontrol and try that.

I tried to install Cura but i cant find anyway to make it work on a non ulitimaker ( I thought it used to ? )

EDIT AGAIN: it is 100% reproducable..regardless of print size. the instant it hits layer 2.. my temp goes all out of whack..and drops from 200 to 192(ish)..and pretty much never climbs back up and sometimes drops more and throws a fail.

#9 KTMDirtFace, Aug 2, 2015
  10. KTMDirtFace

Threw a temp FALL error after the first layer with mattercontroll too... wtf.

seems like its my stud sensor then? Its so weird that the first layer is perfectly fine on small or huge prints..and the instant it goes to layer 2 it fails.

11. KTMDirtFace

Figured out as soon as the PLA cooling fan goes on is when the temp fail/fall happens. why? I have no IDEA...i cant see anything wrong with the wiring. or anything.

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The PID tuning is a good idea (and if this is only replicating with Simplify3D, use the support you paid for and open a ticket with them).
    Sounds like the heater is not able to keep up with the load (and that would not be software specific).

14. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Most likely it's because of the parts fan kicking on. I see it far to often. Slow down the fan speed and the problem will be solved. If using a duct make sure it's not pointing at the heat block.

alfredgg and KTMDirtFace like this.
  15. KTMDirtFace

Thanks yes it happens when the parts fan kicks on. Maybe my duct moved..as nothing else has changed thanks I'll check tonight.

Oh and it happens in mattercontrol too. so its definitly something with the parts fan.

16. KTMDirtFace

This appears to have been the problem thank you!

I was using this duct but it toches the e3d hotend/heatblock..and melted it so there was a big hole I assume this was causing airflow to blow on the heatblock.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:697200

I had another one in ABS i had printed I put it on and it seems to not be touching the heat block and my test print.. at layer 2 it dropped to 198 degrees ( instead of 192 )..then it leveled out at 200 again.

Appears to be working.

17. KTMDirtFace

Still printing good thank you so much for the help. @jbigler1986 that was totally the deal.

18. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Your welcome. Lots of times it's something simple like that. It just gets overlooked because it's such a small thing.

19. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

I just replaced OEM fan with a curved blade fan (supposedly more efficient) and then I had the same errors occasionally. Especially after I fixed the 9% fan setting (in another thread). So now I set the fan setting down from 100% to 65% and it seems to be able to hold the ext. temp. I do also have the aftermarket fan duct which I am sure it exacerbates the issue. What a learning curve 3D printing creates! lol. :)

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the fan duct directs the air to the printed part and not the nozzle then it would actually make things better :)
    Still, you have it under control